KMS Woodworks
KMS Woodworks
  • Nederland, CO

Laminate Flooring Wall.

A long term client of mine recently went through an extensive remodel. One of the walls in the dining area had been set up with dozens of small framed mirrors. This was his girlfriends idea (part her and part their designer) Well, after a separation and her moving out my client wanted something a bit more masculine. The same designer suggested installing laminate flooring on the wall...rather than go
After  the mirrors and poorly installed flooring was removed.
After the mirrors and poorly installed flooring was removed.
laminate flooring wall, wall decor, woodworking projects
Look ma...no gaps
Look ma...no gaps
Just need to paint the trim stick on the left side
KMS Woodworks

• Darius Kemp

how did you make the switch covers and outlets flush? did you need to add anything to them to make them extrude more than normal?

• KMS Woodworks

With some tight cuts around the electrc box the ear tabs of the switches will rest on top of the laminate, then you just need to use some longer screws. If your cuts are less precise you can add a spark ring or box extender. With new construction there are some really nice boxes that can be adjsted in and out with a simple screw. I like to use those for kitchen remodels with tle backsplashes.

• Darius Kemp

@KMS Woodworks perfect! Thanks!

• Michael Iglar

I am getting ready to complete this project and have read conflicting instructions regarding expansion gap. Did you leave any gap around the laminate?

• KMS Woodworks

I ran these tight to the wall trim, the nature of the laminates click lock edges give it a tiny bit of expansion potential.

• Caitlin

Did you adhere directly to the drywall? I have heard conflicting instructions about applying directly to the drywall vs. applying a to sheet of plywood first for reinforcement. And you only used glue - any suggestions on specific glue to use? Thanks, in advance for your reply! The wall looks great!

• KMS Woodworks

As you can see in the first pic the drywall was already damaged from the removal of all of the tiny mirrors. And by appling it directly to the drywall the trim thickness workd well. If adding ply the trim would not have worked. I used loctite powergrab adhesive

• Josh Dannel

I am about to start this project but I have an arched opening with rounded corners to a hall way, do you have any suggestions how to handle this or cut it. I was going to run it up to the corner but concerned there will be a gap on the back side.

• KMS Woodworks

You might be able to find some flexible rubber like corner molding....that would cover the exposed cut edges and the gap behind.

• Judith Barry

I need to find hanging rails to attach to a brick wall where I'm putting laminate flooring. I found a European company (HARO, Hamberger Flooring GmbH & Co.) located in Germany that has the ideal attachments. Apparently they have no such items in the U.S. . Can you suggest something that could work. The entire wall is brick with a fireplace. Home was built in the 50's.

• Nora Lambright

Could I staple or nail the laminate flooring to the wall? If I glue it and want to take it down later, how would that affect the drywall?

• KMS Woodworks

Glue would be the best route, most laminates are "click fit" so the is no easy way to nail through the tongue like regular hardwood flooring.

The glue most likely will mess with the drywall. But drywall skimming is still pretty easy to fix.

• Bernice H

Hi Kevin..I still like this....such a great idea. Been missing you and your great posts. Hope you are ok!

• Gale O'Neal

I did it as back splash in kitchen but found I needed a few finishing nails to secure. Same thing in pet feeding room/litter box room. Not finished yet, but here is my work in progress).