Old Magazines turned into Christmas Trees using simple Origami

Don't know what to do with your old magazines? This is a simple, quick project (about an hour total), to turn a magazine into a Christmas Tree. See photos for the tutorial. This would be a great project for the kids because it's so easy!
Start with an old magazine. Use one that has good, thick sheets, not the really thin page ones. Choose different sizes. Wine Spectator is good for a big tree, or cut down if you need a smaller size. 200 pgs seems to be a good size.
This is what you will end up with, with your own spin of colors, decoration, etc, or just leave plain.
To start, tear off the cover, and discard, unless it's the same paper weight as the pages. Start with the 1st page, and fold down the upper corner into a triangle.
Fold the triangle you made with the first fold again. Fold against the binding as tightly as possible to assure a uniform look with all pages.
Take the "tail" that is hanging longer than the magazine, and fold it under, tucking it in between the folds you have made.
Do this for about 30-45 minutes, and you end up with a magazine tree.
Spray paint to the color desired. I use a silver chrome spray on mine.
I wanted some teal to go in my living room, so I used a cake decorating stencil and stenciled on some stars, using acrylic paint. You can decorate any way you see fit, hot gluing ornaments, garland, etc., or just leave plain!

Questions on this post

Your question...
  2 questions

Comments

2 of 44 comments
Next