Craft Room Makeover - From Living Room to Craft Room

I love crafting. At some point I realized that it would be easier to convert my empty formal living room area into an actual craft room. So, that's what I did! I removed all the formal hunter green and burgundy wallpaper and replaced it with vibrant colors that made me happy.
I changed my formal living room into a craft room!
After I purchased this house, I yanked up the old beat up carpet and discovered hard wood floors underneath. I thought I wanted a formal living room area. I imagined wing back chairs and such, so I went ahead with this wallpaper. The room remained untouched for years because I never found the furniture I imagined, yet my craft supplies were crowding me out so I decided to change this space into a craft room.
I tried to continue the "theme", but the space didn't inspire me. I think I just was afraid to actually start over, especially since I had invested in that custom wallpaper. But sometimes, you just have to start over.
This is part of the original setup. I used the fabric in the corner as a backdrop for photographing my items for my Etsy shop.
I purchased this chair for $5 at the Habitat Restore. The form is in really great shape, but I do need to reupholster it. (I have the fabric, just need the time.)
The accent wall was painted a charcoal gray to be a better backdrop for my art prints. Our local Hallmark went out of business and I was able to purchase the yarn stand (originally housed stuffed animals) and the card rack for $10 each. The two white picture ledges were purchased at IKEA.
After removing the wallpaper, my dad and I painted three of the walls in this "Spring Green". My family thought I'd lost it, but I was in love with the vibrant color.
Small items like buttons are contained in these magnetic spice jars which are held in place by a magnetic knife holder, all purchased at IKEA.
I found the round mirror at the Habitat Restore for a couple of dollars, then I spray painted it white. The dresser was the one my parents bought when I was a child. I chalk painted it with a DIY chalk paint and spray painted the knobs (I'll post a separate tutorial for that). Inside the dresser you will find loads of fabrics and other sewing notions.
For additional storage, I purchased two 6-cube storage shelves and added 6 Cubical baskets, which store my yarns (sorted by colors).
If you're interested in seeing this entire makeover from start to finish, check out this playlist. There is also a video that shows how I organized the small closet in this craft room as well.

Libby @ Artistic Expressions by Elisabeth

• Julie

I took over the Master Bedroom and made it into my Craft Room. I have a Twin Bed and wanted to know if I got a daybed,if that be better space and looks wise ?

• Beth

Julie, a twin bed can be a daybed -- just put it against the wall length-wise and use two short bookcases at each end that are at least a foot taller than the bed. Store craft supplies in one of the bookcases and guest room amenities such as magazines, lotion, a candle, bottled water, etc. on the other. A fitted bedspread (google them - JC Penney and Wayfair as well as several other places sell them) keeps it neat, and a couple of body pillows from Walmart across the back which you can make pillowcases for are opportunities to tie it into a homemade valance!

• Jessica Serrano-Gregg

This is great! My husband wants me to convert our dining room into my craft area because we never use it... Kids are grown and my crafts are in every part of this house, we joke that it looks like Michael's, JoAnn fabrics, and hobby lobby threw up all over my house... Haha but I can't pull the trigger because our house is old and I mean 1880's vintage with a lot of original woodworking but the set up is typical of these 2 story, what once was probably a farm house way back before people started building houses on top of each other.. But unfortunately, our house opens up right to the dining area / open kitchen area and the living room is actually just around a little corner. So the first thing people see when I open the door is essentially our dining room . I'm not sure I want to keep my craft area near and organized at all times or I'd never get anything done, well anything fun done... Lol but I love it and admire your use of space. I'm using my sons old room for my craft room now but I hate being isolated from everyone so I drag whatever project I'm doing, to the living room anyways lol... I'm just a mess

• Vanessa Humphries

Thank you for the inspiration.