DIY Mudroom Storage Crates

We recently moved from New Orleans to Colorado--what came with the move was a lot of extra snow gear (hats, gloves, scarves, etc.) We had no place to put these, as we didn't need this kind of gear in Louisiana. So I decided that some adorable new storage crates were in order. I purchased these crates and baskets (50% off) from Michaels).
I wanted them to be colored but I didn't want to paint them (we love the look of natural wood!), so I bought some Atlantic wood stain from Home Depot. I absolutely love the color and think it turned out perfectly--especially for the old Americana makeover I'll be doing in this front room next month (spoiler alert!)
I stained both crates with three layers of stain and let them dry for about 48 hours until they were no longer tacky.
Once they were dry, I had my personal helper (also known as my boyfriend) mount them on the wall for me.
As you can see, they now hold all of our snow gear and extra stuff that we need to grab on our way out the door!
I just love the way they come out. To read the full post on these crates and other DIY project tutorials and recipes, please come visit my blog! I'd love to have you.

20 Ways To Incorporate Mosaics Into Your Home
30 Great Ideas For Every Pet Owner!
How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!
18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!
Save Your Old Cans For These 31 Home Decor Ideas
Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
3 Creative Eye Catching Rug Projects That No One Else Has!
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
TheRusticWillow

• Lar6372553

Is that stain color blue or black?
    • Tracey Pizapio-Ifversen

Yes if you actually click on her page she says she was going to use brown but chose a blue stain instead.I'm pretty sure this is the color of my bed it's beautiful.

• Jill

What did your "helper" attach the crates to the wall with?

• Kim

Should be screwed into the studs or a drywall anchor.

• Jennifer Nielsen Clesceri

Where did you get the baskets? Not the crates

• Lisa

Amazon is where she got the baskets.

I love this project, thank you so much for sharing!

• Jeanne Morris

I DEFINITELY will try this project — what a fantastic way to corral this gear! I love the stain on the crates and the baskets complement perfectly! BRAVO - you are an inspiration!

• Margiebirds

Great idea!