Home Repair Tutor
Home Repair Tutor
  • Pittsburgh, PA

Fix a Moving of Leaking Toilet Bowl Before the Holidays

This past weekend I, ahem, was in our bathroom and noticed the toilet bowl could move.
And since we'll be hosting holiday festivities I thought it'd be a good idea to fix this problem now. Let's just say the bathroom gets a lot of use this time of year at parties.
We recently had hardwood floors installed in this bathroom and the installer stacked two wax rings together. While this is acceptable I decided that I'd rather raise the toilet flange to ensure a good seal between the new wax ring and toilet bowl.

My buddy Joe just bought a house and had a similar issue. So I decided to put together some tips for him and the Hometalk community. There's also a short video that shows you how to do this simple repair and save a few bucks (use the extra money on toys or charity). Check out the tutorial via this link http://www.homerepairtutor.com/fix-a-leaking-toilet-bowl/
Here are some quick tips:
-Avoid nasty toilet bowl water spilling on your floor by turning it into gel (use LiquiLock)
-Add blue tape to the floor and mark the position of closet bolts (ensures you'll line up the toilet upon re-installation)
-Use a wax ring that doesn't have a plastic flange (the flange could dislodge and prevent solids from being flushed down the waste pipe)
-Add plumber's putty to the bolt caps to keep them in place
After you view the post you'll have the ability to remove your toilet, raise the closet flange, add a wax ring, and re-install your commode. I hope this helps. If it does I'd love to hear from you.
Fix a moving or leaking toilet bowl before the holidays with these items.
Closet flange spacers help raise the closet flange so toilet bowls don't leak.
LiquiLock turns toilet bowl water into a gel.
Scrape the old wax ring off the toilet bowl.
Use extra long closet flange bolts with a spacer.
Trim the closet flange bolts with a Dremel or hacksaw. I love the Dremel for this.
Home Repair Tutor

• Sherrie S

@Home Repair Tutor No, I got rid of one man a long time ago. Any more ideas?

• Katrina Warren

@Home Repair Tutor Thanks for the tutorial! We have a toilet that has had the wax ring replaced several times, & still gets loose & leaks after a while. I think the spacer is just what's needed to fix this problem!