Kitchen Table and Chair Makeover With Stain and Paint

Do you have a table and chair set you are certain is ready for the dumpster? Don't get rid of it yet...A quick dose of stain and paint can work wonders!
Our kitchen table received a huge scratch in transit--it's needed a makeover since the day we moved in ... thank goodness for table linens is all I'm saying...
The chairs were really scratched, as well...at least those marks were made by us! Because I was painting my kitchen island, I thought I would make over the table and chairs, as well.
I screwed off the seat bottoms and gave them two coats of SW high performance enamel paint in the same color I painted the island. After popping off the table top and leaf, it was given a light sanding and three coats of a Java Gel stain.
The beauty of Java Gel is you don't have to bring your piece down to the bare wood to stain! Because it will receive heavy use, I gave it three coats of a satin polyurethane. While I had the paint out, I also whipped up a new "grain sack" table runner out of left over drop cloth material!
The table top turned out so beautiful, I've decided to stain the seat bottoms--but not until they start showing lots of wear and use. I've added a picture of the painted island so you can see how it all looks together.
Feel free to check out the post for more detailed instructions and photos!
www.clockworkinteriors.com/?p=1470

Cynthia - Clockworkinteriors

• Sandi

Love to do this to my table which has been a 5 yr project. However, your URL is not pulling up. Help!!!

• Patricia E. Harris-Button

That looks beautiful! I have a dining table with veneer top that is damaged on the edges. Can you use this gel stain on it?