My Love For Mercury Glass & The Dollar Store Make Over!

It all started with one piece I received as a gift. I just love the unique look of it, but not the price.
my love for mercury glass the dollar store make over, crafts, repurposing upcycling
I found a tutorial on how to make your own with krylon looking glass spray. I tested it out on a vase that was given to me with an arrangement free. Also I took a battery candle that changes color from the Dollar store.
To make mercury glass, you will need a spray bottle with 1 part water and 1 part vinegar. Lightly spray glass, wait 1 min. Then spray with your mixture. You can see results right away. You can repeat the process if you want a heavier look. Take paper towel and pat dry.
To take my look even further I wanted colored mercury glass (yes colored). These also came from the Dollar Store. These give more color and can be used for many occasions.
Follow the same steps. You can apply a little less or more depending on your taste. These came out with a more pastel look. I just love them!
This is not only beautiful, but addictive and fun! The glass spray for this project can cost a little more than a can of spray paint, but get at Michaels or Hobby Lobby with a coupon to help with cost. Still much cheeper than buying and you did yourself!
Colored mercury glass.
Well, I went through my house looking for items, glass dish, candle holder, perfume bottle and lets not forget all those flower arrangements vases that get put away or thrown away! This project was loads of FUN!
Ana illausky

• Barb Thomas

My friend tried the mercury glass effect last year but it didn't have a crisp, mirrored color...more dull and grayish. I would love to try it because I share your affinity for mercury glass. (1) How can I avoid the dull look? (2) Is it possible to remove the paint and start over? Thanks... Barb

• Anne

Would this work on plastic?

• Ana illausky

Hi Anne, Not the same look on plastic, It works best on all glass, even tinted glass. Thanks!

• Laurie Foreman

I was wondering if you every painted a picture on top of the Krylon Looking Glass, and if so, what paints will adhere? Thank you for your tutorial

• Ana illausky

Hi Laurie, I have never painted on top of the looking glass paint. Hmmmmm something to think about! Thanks!

• Jessie

I share your affinity for mercury glass and have done this quite successfully as well, although not with colored glass. I also found it helps to turn the glass around after you've sprayed the paint to catch drips and actually swirl them around to make more variation!