Barbara Stanley
Barbara Stanley
  • Hendersonville, NC

For the Birds...turn a CD Stand Into a Bird-themed "curiosity Cabinet"

I volunteer for a local non-profit thrift store, and occasionally make an up-cycled craft out of a donated item that they then raffle off or sell. I recently took this birdcage-style CD cabinet and made it into a bird-themed shadowbox styled after the Victorian "curiosity cabinet". I hope that it brings a good amount of money for a worthy cause!
CD holder/stand
CD holder/stand
The stand was a donation that we decided to up-cycle into a piece of art and try to "up-sell" to increase profit for the thrift store. First, I cut out some of the shelves with bolt cutters to vary the size of the cubbies. I then covered the back with burlap that I had left from our son's wedding, stapling it to the wood.
The completed cabinet!
The completed cabinet!
The turkey feathers and moss are out of our yard. I already had most of the items on hand, including the vintage crocheted lace, craft bird nests and eggs, flower pots, bird house and mushroom birds. I bought the mason-style jar for $2.97 at WalMart and the white ceramic bird for about $1.50 at Michael's.
for the birds turn a cd stand into a bird themed curiosity cabinet, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling, rustic furniture
Burlap/chalkboard tags from a craft store add rustic charm. I wrote the letters with a white paint pen. The mason-style jar has an led candle with a timer
The graphics were all printed from free graphics sites. I made the paper nest from vintage sheet music, shredded in a paper-shredder, dipped in dilute white glue and molded over a bowl to dry. I grew the mini birdhouse gourds a couple of years ago to make some fairy birdhouses.
The wreath is made from grapevine from our woods. Items are fastened to the shelves and frame with brown twine, floral wire, hot glue and adhesive dots.
Another close-up.

• Barbara Stanley

Update on the auction for the thrift store: The cabinet sold for $125, benefiting Meals on Wheels in our community!

• Kristen

I thought I was the only one lol