Galvanized Livestock Tank as Planters

I found the perfect planter for large trees / shrubs on my back deck. It was cheaper than a ceramic planter of comparable size, will last longer and is lighter, brighter and provides a nice relief from a deck full of ceramic or wooden planters.
This Spring I noticed a shopping mall by my house had used a steel livestock tank as a planter for the trees at the mall entrance. I loved it. Normally you would find these tanks out in a field filled with water for the horses.
Brilliant idea! These tanks are perfect for planters as they come with a built in drainage spout, are light weight and because they are galvanized - they never rust.
I had a dark corner of my back deck that I wanted to fill in with tall shrubs that would stay green all year. I added some Styrofoam for drainage and some drip irrigation.
I really love the industrial look of the planter. Also, the steel tank reflects the sun and really brightens up the dark corner.
A perfect planter

Nancy T

• Irene

What shrub or tree is in container

• Lynne Webb

Those trees are arborvitaes. They're going to grow. Is this a temporary setting? Are they going to be planted in the yard later? I have a rather young one at the corner of my house and expect it will be huge eventually. Just asking. Not being critical of your beautiful arrangement. I love the addition of the fern. Ck the requirements for painting galvanized. Seems to me, when guttering was galvanized, you had to wash it down with vinegar before paint would stick.