Dee W
Dee W
  • Senecaville, OH
Asked on Dec 10, 2012

Rainfull lake

Zest it UpCheryl NewmanCori Warner
+44

This lake forms with each rain in varying degrees. It lies between ours and the neighbor's yard and over the years has been leaving our yard growing larger in the neighbor's. We approached them about putting in a drainage system and were told they did that 20 years ago and weren't about to do it again. This happens up and down our street between houses and as a group we had gone before the village council with complaints. This past summer street work was done which included larger piping and grates being installed. We were told the problem was fixed.
This is the reason our sump pumps work so hard and never seem to last. Does anyone have any ideas? I am open to all suggestions except moving.
q rainfull lake, home maintenance repairs, outdoor living, taken from my back flowerbed looking toward the street
taken from my back flowerbed looking toward the street
q rainfull lake, home maintenance repairs, outdoor living, taken from the front looking back My home is on the right
taken from the front looking back. My home is on the right
30 of 45 answers
  • Sharron W
    Dec 11, 2012

LOL @Leslie D ...Someone you don't like much...LOL How about the uncooperative Neighbors... I put in my own drainage system some years back, including the "trenching" and Burying of lines, it's made a huge difference and except for ensuring that the elevation of the lines is sloped properly, it really wasn't that hard of a project...This looks like something you could do over a weekend to me...

• I agree with Ponds, Patios, and Waterfalls, a sustainable water feature capturing the rainwater would be the way to go and add a little bit of beauty to that area instead of just mud.

• Backyard Getaway
    Dec 11, 2012

Great suggestions in the comments, I think a rain harvesting system would be a great idea, it could even double as a pondfree water feature. Check out AWG rain harvesting system to get an idea of how to create it: http://atlanticwatergardens.com/rainharvesting.html

• Jeanette S
    Dec 12, 2012

You say this is happening around in the neighborhood so you are not the only person who has this problem...even your neighbors worked on it but are now disappointed. Why not research the suggestions given, gather together some neighbors who might be interested in fixing their problems and form a "get 'er done" group. The biggest cost in any project is usually the labor. A dozen home owners working a couple of weekends a month could clear up the entire neighborhood in a summer. If you lay out a plan that is environmentally friendly and get some interested neighbors, you can even apply for a grant to pay for the materials and some skilled assistance. Keep in mind the annual rainfall so you will know what you are dealing with. And water collected in wet periods can be used in dry periods, etc. Even without a grant, a cooperative effort makes it more fun!

• Joan A
    Dec 13, 2012

Being I couldn't get help by the neighbors or the community I think I'd buy a couple of loads of a good top soil and have "my" area built up. Starting at the house and working my way out I'd make it a gradual slope away from my home but being careful not to make it slope directly to the neighbors home either. Then seed it.

• Brian Bogia
    Dec 13, 2012

build a french drain system that connects to a stream

• Linda H
    Dec 13, 2012

dig it out for a pond and line it so it won't go into your basement, put plants and stones around it on a slope to drain water into it.

• The "pond" idea is nice, but the problem is that the water is'nt just comming from above; It's comming from "everywhere"I agree with the "French Drain" idea. however, from what you're telling us, I'm doubtful if the city/county actually does have an adequit outlet for the drainage, if they did, and the homes were built to code, then the foundation drains would be doing their jobs to drain off any water intrusion. It would seem that nothing about resolving this issue is going to be inexpensive (or easy), but "please"! do'nt waste your money on a water feature 'til this is resolved. Ya gotta stop the water from getting to your foundation first...

• Tim Sargeant
    Dec 13, 2012

make a pond and put some fish in it make the best of low land or bog type plants like Giant Gunnera and Arundo Donax

• Erica Sheppa Love
    Dec 13, 2012

I would look into putting in some kind of pond. With your type of house it would be very pretty and relaxing.

• Call the enviromental control in your county. It's a mosquito trap.

• Deborah M
    Dec 13, 2012

There must be a spring there somewhere. I would say build up around it so water doesn't leave,,,,,,drain it and watch where the water the water comes in I doubt it's from rainfall. Be a great duck pond and ice skating. My friend had the same problem they dug it down 2 ft and ducks fly to it all the time. and put up a bat house or frogs or you'll have plenty of dragonflies come anyway.

• Diane Brizzolara
    Dec 13, 2012

I'm not an expert by any means but since this is a shared problem, I would contact your local co-operative extension service.

• Judith O
    Dec 13, 2012

Plant a rain garden with beautiful bog plants. Improves the looks of your yard, helps control the water problem, & purifies the ground water. Our village subsidizes costs if you follow their suggestions. Do some research online. Good luck.

• When building plans were submitted for your neighborhood, the builder did not make allowances for proper drainage/the city should not have approved the plans. It never should have passed inspection.

• Keri S
    Dec 13, 2012

I say the same thing build a pond with pretty Rocks around it maybe a waterfall on one end or in the middle there are several ways of how to build a pond just look it up online. They have mosquito tablets to kill the bugs. but won't hurt animals ...Pompous grass, palms , smaller perrenial flowers Good Luck Have Fun ! Take pictures of it when you're finished bring 'em back here to us...:)

• Margaret K
    Dec 13, 2012

Fighting the government would be a hugh pain, but still may have to be done. It is amazing that one hand in government does not know what the other hand does - or that it even has another hand. Anyway, looking into modifing the landscape is also worthwhile. By getting information from environmental, landscaping and back to the government, you may have what you need to get this dealt with properly so that the water does not pond up and can drain away.

• Daphne
    Dec 14, 2012

Make a water garden, that will actually reduce Mosquitos because of the frogs and little fish

• Susan C
    Dec 14, 2012

My yard had a similar pronnbblem. The prior owners submerged a plastic bucket, the large kinds you use to ice down drinks in. Hooked a sumppump into it and ran a pipe to the street.

• Rita d'Armand
    Dec 14, 2012

Since you have a water source I say build a pond and every once in a while treat the water so no bugs can live on it. I would love to have this water source.

• Dee W
    Dec 17, 2012

Everyone has such good and interesting solutions. The water is not just from the neighbor's and mine's yard. Behind me is a home on another street(we are near a corner) and we receive water from this area as well since they are higher ground. As far as building codes go, all our homes were built in the 1800's and I doubt there were very many codes back then. We are on city water and sewer. Our sump pump had actually been tied into the outgoing city water lines which is why it is now re-routed through the window. This has been an ongoing issue for 18 yrs. for us, more for some of the elderly residents. We will hopefully be able to research and investigate things further this coming year and make a decision and a plan for the following year. I wiill be sure to let y'all know what we do and thank you for your feedback and help.

• Rindy Bergbower
    Dec 27, 2012

If it is like my backyard there is a low spot that water pools in after a rain. After a couple of days it's gone and back to normal. ln the summer when it is dry there is no problems. Is this the way it goes for you?

• Dee W
    Dec 29, 2012

yes, that is how it goes normally. This year however the area will stay a little wet simply because we were forced to re-route our sump pump thru a window that hits ths same area.

• Rindy Bergbower
    Jan 02, 2013

Ahh the sump pump. I would look into putting in drainage tile since the sump pump is always going to be an issue. Go to your extension office and they can guide you to the proper way to do this. Or google drainage tile systems or go to you tube for ideas on what tile would work best for your needs. Good luck

• Dee W
    Jan 03, 2013

@Rindy Bergbower Thank-you for the tip abut the Extension Office, they are so useful!

• That looks like a major drainage problem that should have /could have been addressed during the street repairs and drainage work. I would recommend contacting the local Zoning Enforcement Officer to discuss the problem with them or visit your Town Hall to see if there is a plan on file for your development's road and drainage repairs. A simple stone drain with a small pipe to an existing catchbasin (if one is close by) may be the trick. Your zoning enforcement officer should be able to help you address this problem. Good luck.

• Jeanette S
    Jan 20, 2013

If you have pubic storm sewers, the officers can help. Building up your yard and having a collection drain connected to a pipe to the storm sewer might work...talk to the municipality about it. No matter what happens, you cannot dump your water onto another's property. Check it out carefully before you spend a lot of time and/or money.

• Cori Warner
    Mar 19, 2014

If the city has drainage in the area, you might be able to work with them and your homeowners assoc. to install adequate drainage, but it will be quite a process. Would it be possible to build that area up with dirt so the water heads on down to the Street? You could put a layer of gravel under it to help with the drainage.

• Cheryl Newman
    Mar 20, 2014

I had a similar problem with a low spot in my yard. i took out the grass and made a beautiful wildflower garden of native plants that could handle the conditions

• Zest it Up
    Jul 03, 2018

I would suggest creating a "dry bed" where you basically place a french drain underneath to help with getting the water out and then larger river rocks to create that "dry bed" look when the water is not present, then the landscape will look great all year round. A quick search on pinterest will show you some pics but here is one example- https://pin.it/bovgimu72n3zer