Tired Old Sofa Table: Makeover!

So I'd been looking on Craigslist for a sofa table for a while before this one popped up. It caught my eye right away, but was trying to watch the budget, and I didn't feel up to spending even $60 they were asking at the time. So I waited about a week, noticed the posting was still up, and offered them $40. We settled on $45, and the deal was done!
It was totally covered in cobwebs and spider eggs when I picked it up, but it was nice and sturdy, and the legs were even cooler in person than they were on the screen. So I brought it home, and as I was cleaning it up, I noticed on the bottom that it's made by Lane! Not bad--I nabbed a quality piece for $45. But even with that knowledge, I knew I wasn't going to leave it alone ;)
I didn't like the finish of the blonde wood and knots (no offense meant--I know there are plenty of people who do like it), so I decided to whip out my chalk paint and give it a fresh look. Now this is the part of the post where I'd usually show you a few pics of the painting process, but, again, I forgot the pics, so I'll give you a quick rundown of the steps I took.
Clean It: I just used some soap and water to get all the dust and debris off the top.
Paint It: I used Annie Sloan's Old White, and it took me about 3 coats to get the finish to look how I wanted.
Distress It: For most of the distressing, I used steel wool. This has recently become my favorite method of distressing, because (a) I can't stand the feeling of hot sandpaper on my hands... even thinking about it makes my stomach turn, and (b) a scraper is just too drastic sometimes, but I did use it a little bit on this project. I think steel wool is a pretty quick solution, plus it's easy to work with. Once in a while you just have to give it a rinse or grab a fresh piece (depending on how thick your paint coverage is).
Finish With Wax: I like Annie Sloan's clear wax for this purpose. You can use a brush or a rag to apply it.
I'm so much happier with the piece looking like this--although I loved the legs either way. But the color and finish fits in better with the rest of the room now. And for $40 (plus the cost of paint... so maybe $12 in paint... I used about 1/3 of the can), I'm more than happy with the result!
And there you have it! I really love these pieces that you can buy for such a reasonable price and are super-easy to fix up. After looking in retail stores and seeing similar-sized tables in the hundreds-thousand dollar range, completing a piece like this for just over $50 feels pretty darn good!

30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
30 Creative Painting Techniques & Ideas You MUST See
Cut Up Some Pallets For These 20 Amazing Ideas
15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
Check Out These 15 Beautiful Flower Ideas For Spring
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
15 Perfectly Round Tables
Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs
16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
Krosiepowers

• Ashley Harding

I just bought two suitcases similar to yours. Didn't know where I was going to put them, but I liked them. Love your styling idea! Table looks amazing as well!

• NancyMaria

Nice! I really like the details on that table. If you were into southwestern, a person could paint the bracing cutouts under the top, with a soft turquoise and/or peach color. Or even a light tan just for contrast.