Fence Picket Wall

$50

ETA: I've received LOTS of concern about how sanitary this application would be behind a toilet. Its not for everyone. Its just the two of us in our home and neither one of us is a messy bathroom goer, so we have zero problems with it. I just use my vacuum hose to "dust" it occasionally. :)

ETA: This application IS NOT for high humidity spaces. I recommend using a wood look tile for those areas.

I've wanted to do this project for a very long time now and for Valentine's Day this year, this was my present from my Honey! He's the bestest! Visit our blog for complete step by step details.

We finished this section of our master bathroom in just a few short hours. We are going to do another larger wall over the tub soon. Click right here for that project.

First we measured our area then gathered some choice fence pickets from our stack of recycled pickets out back. We've used from our stack several times before.

One more look at the before and after shots. Its amazing what a little FREE wood can do to such a small space!

My honey would measure and mark the wall of the size of each picket and I would write his measurements down on a note pad, then we would go out and cut 4 to 5 rows then come back and glue/brad each one to the wall.

We got to this point and realized the picket would not fit behind the toilet tank. My honey tried moving the entire toilet forward, but we did not have enough wiggle room to make it work. The lid protruding out that was the problem. Visit our blog for how we fixed this problem.

Of course we have more work to do, but for now this little space in our bathroom really makes me smile!

We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

DeeDee

• Jessica James

I just wanted to make a suggestion here: If cleanliness is a concern,i would try to coat the wood with resin or satin-translucent paint.There are some paints that are water resistant and can be cleaned with mild cleaner

• DeeDee

Hi Jessica! Great tip, thank you so much! :)

• Linda

I'd like to know how you handled the lack of space behind the toilet. But where can I find your blog?

• DeeDee

Hi Linda! If you scroll back up just a bit you will see my picture and a blue "GO" button, that will take you to our blog! :)

• Deb

Gorgeous

• NC Mammie

You did a really good job.. We are doing that very same thing in our hall bath. It's a seascape beach theme. We sprayed lysol on our boards heavily to sanitize them. They look so awesome in their natural state

• DeeDee

Thank you so much for your sweet compliment! Good luck with your project! :)

• Cathy Hays

Beautiful Job! We just had our fence replaced and I kept the old panels that were in good shape so I could do the wall behind my bed. I love your Paint Stick trick! Definitely going to " borrow" that idea! And painting the wall dark behind it as well. Thanks for the inspiration!

• DeeDee

Hi Cathy! Thank you so much, I really appreciate that and I'm glad we could help. Good luck with your project! :)