Industrial Chic Placemats-Urban Barn knock off

$20

Oooooh what says Industrial more than a little spray-paint! Okay I can think of a few things but this is fun, and requires the most minimal of sewing skills. Here's a quick diy how to of placemats i saw at Urban Barn for 12$ each. The Urban Barn mat had double needle cotton biased tape on the back, however here's my simplified knock off!
urban industrial chic placemats, crafts, dining room ideas, repurposing upcycling
I used 18 oz canvas, great weight for placemats and the painting effect. Cut your mat to your desired size. I used another placemat as a template. Run a straight stitch about a half-inch along each side of each of your place mats to control the frayed edge.
Your mats will turn out “all the better” if you just throw them in a pile and let them wrinkle!
I personally wanted the natural canvas tone border so I taped off each edge with painters tape.
Lightly spray paint each mat. Don't worry about uneven coverage and even go as far as to leave the loose canvas threads on your mat when you spray. These threads, and the wrinkles all add to the character.
Find a stencil you like, of whatever shape, image or word you like. I made my own and used card stock paper for its durability.
Use painter’s tape on the back of any floating parts of your letters or image.
Roll over with your second choice of colour, latex or acrylic. Again, less is more, don't worry about even or complete solid coverage.
Once your mats are all painted and DRY send them through a wash and dry cycle. After the dry cycle you'll really see that nice size frayed edge but it will be a bit of a mess. Trim all of the long thread. They'll need a good steam iron on the backside as well. But now they're ready! The wash a dry cycle gave the mats that great roughened aged and beaten look.
I placed my word 'eat' at different positions on all of my mats. Ready for dinner!
pop in to Donna Larsen designs...to view more step by step images in my blog!

Fab and Pretty