DIY $20 Baseboard Upgrade!

$20.00

Our baseboards were ugly to say the least- they match our floor, but that is a different post all together. I needed to spruce them up a bit, but without spending much... More like spending close to nothing at all.
diy 20 baseboard upgrade, wall decor, woodworking projects
I was able to upgrade our kitchen, living room, mudroom and laundry area for $20!
This is an extreme close-up of our hideous baseboard. I know- frightening isn't it? It's okay, we're going to make it better.
First you need to measure your baseboard your going to be upgrading, then go to your favorite home improvement store and buy that much polystyrene shoe moulding. At mine, I was about $3.00 per 8ft. Pretty cheap.
Use a miter box for the corners and a really sharp bread knife to cut the moulding to size. I like to give it just a light sanding to get the edge smooth after cutting. Once it's cut to size, add some adhesive to the back and smooth.
Using a block of wood the size you want your finished faux baseboard to be- mine is a scrap piece of 2x3, rest it on your existing baseboard and place the shoe moulding on top. Basically, your using the wood as a spacer block to ensure your moulding is uniform.
Use tape to hold the moulding to the wall overnight while the adhesive dries. Once dried, lightly sand down the moulding and the baseboard before painting. Paint the wall between your existing baseboard and the shoe moulding. Viola, chunky, beautiful baseboard.
There ya have it, a $20 baseboard upgrade. Please click over to my blog for step by step instructions and also some tips/tricks to get a very finished look.

OnBlissStreet

• Bernice H

I do like it. Question,since it is foam? Does it break when the vacuum or kids toy hits it!

• Julie M

It looks like you put the flat side up and the curved side down toward the existing baseboard. Is that right? Very cool effect.

• Donna Roberts Darrell

I'm confused about the cost ... If the cost is $3 for 8', you only get 56' for $21. How big were the rooms you did? Or, was it $20 for each room? Still a bargain! Looks nice. I hope you answer the question about the"bumping".

• Marie

i would have cleaned up the original molding and put a coat of primer and two coats of white paint on it and it would look beautiful. Marie

• Ambrit

I seen this once before. It was a picture taken at a distance so I thought it probably looks terrible close up. Yours looks good. So now I am doing this. Nice job.

• Marie Shelkey

This also works on the crown moulding!