Marie Ricci
Marie Ricci
  • Essex, CT

How to paint a ceiling medallion for kids rooms

1.Start with latex paint in a satin finish.
2.Have a damp rag ready to remove paint.

3.Using a 2 1/2" nylon brush apply a generous amount of paint to cover the entire ceiling medallion. Move quickly, do not allow the paint to dry.
4.While paint is wet, wrap the damp rag around your hand.

5.Using the tips of your fingers, lightly remove the paint around the inner and outer border and all the high points, exposing the white below.
6.Repeat this process, continually moving to a clean section on the rag. This will give your ceiling medallion the vintage or shabby chic look.

7.Once paint has dried, use a 1/4" nylon brush and paint the background of the ceiling medallion.

8.Repeat this process if necessary to achieve good coverage. Below is a finished example of a hand painted Marie Ricci Ceiling Medallion for Children's Rooms.
Here are the tools you will need:
Ceiling Medallion for Children's Rooms available at www.mariericci.com
Latex Paint ( satin finish, eggshell or flat finish )
2 1/2" nylon brush ( Lowes or Home Depot )
Damp rag
1/4" nylon flat brush ( American Painter #3 available at Michaels)
Copyright 2012 Marie Ricci Collection, Inc.
Marie Ricci Ceiling and Chandelier Medallions are a registered Trademark.
Children's Ceiling Medallion shown in custom color, Tiffany Blue. www.mariericci.com

• Pauline Marinello

Hi, did you add the words to the ceiling rose , that's what we call them in the U.K as I have only ever seen them plain or with an intricate design. I would love to have one on my kitchen wall.

• Marie Ricci

Hi, Pauline, I hand carved the original medallion, they are not glued on letters. I ship to the UK.

• Diane Suplick

I loved the painted medallions that are on home depot web site , but at $200. dollars and up I decided to paint mine myself . I like the bronze and gold with a little silver to match my chandelier