DIY Whisk Flowers

A few weeks ago, I was getting ready to donate a box of old cooking utensils when my four year old son saw a wire hand whisk we were about to part with and asked if he could keep it. I said “sure.” A few minutes later, he asked if I could turn it into a butterfly for him. As I started to pull it apart, I realized that this was an impossible task and it looked more like a flower than a butterfly. At this point he was no longer interested in the whisk, but now I was. There were endless possibilities here!
Whenever any type of creative idea hits me, I always call my sister, Erin. Her and I talked, hashing out the details for this whisk flower, deciding that wrapping it in fabric was my best bet. She recommended the magic number of three and I agreed. So, off to the store I went to buy a couple more wire whisks and make my fabric selections.
Here is how the flowers were made:
First, I started by pulling each wire loop apart from the grouping to create the petals.
Next, I cut small strips of fabric and wrapped one around each petal, attaching it with liquid stitch glue. (I noticed when I was making my first flower, that I could see through the white parts of fabric a little bit. So for each additional flower I made, I first wrapped the petals with plain white muslin, then with the patterned fabric. Problem solved! This made them look much better.)
Once I completed the whole flower, I got back on the phone with my loving sister and we started brainstorming ideas for the center.
After a few text messages and several minutes of talking, Erin suggested that I make fabric flowers to be the centers, and I did just that.
Long strips of fabric were rolled up and glued to the middle of my whisk.
Perfect!
Finally, I repeated all of the above steps until I had three beautiful blossoms.
Aren’t they adorable? They make the ideal spring/summer decor. These would also be so cute for a party, or a mother’s day gift. Like I said before, the possibilities are endless.
For more about this project and to see other DIYs check out Elizabeth Joan Designs.

14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
3 Absolutely Adorable Ways To Display Your Plants
15 Ways to Spice up Your Floors
3 Brilliant Ideas How to Use Photo Frames
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
Elizabeth Joan Designs

• Traci
    Traci

What happened to your sons butterfly? Did you ever make him one from a whisk?

• Jewellmartin
      Jewellmartin

I can imagine a four-winged butterfly and a flower leaf or petal. The flower rolls in the centers are very pretty. ☺️

• Clara
    Clara

Can you you hot glue for the underneath instead of sewing?

• Pamela
      Pamela

She didn't sew she used fabric glue. Which comes in glue sticks too for your glue gun. I think you could use hot glue to. Also little ones socks pulled on each petal works and less glueing.thats what i did.

• Linda Partridge
    Linda Partridge

I have a question on the snowman,I noticed you also wraped the circles all around...why no on put in front,wrap around and hotglue each one,this wat,you do not have to buy as much yarn..you can then put polyurathem on back to protect it and help make it still.

• Karen
    Karen

Thank you so much! I make Mother Day gifts for all of the ladies in my church and I just decided what I am making this year!

• Linda Abate
    Linda Abate

Soooooooo sweet. These really are adorable and the fact that you can make any color combination you want is awesome. LOVE THESE FLOWERS.