Painting And Stenciling On A Granite Fireplace

The granite surrounding my fireplace had a pinkish hue. Never being a girly girl and hating the "pink", I decided to paint it. Lots of people advised me against it, but I went with my gut, and it turned out beautifully!
painting and stenciling on a granite fireplace, fireplaces mantels, how to, painting
The fireplace is now beautiful with the added subtle drama of the stenciled Moroccan design.
Here is is how it looked when we bought our home. The granite had a brownish pink tone to it and several rust spots. The soot and rust came off with the rough side of a sponge and all purpose cleaner.
Then I used a sponge roller and applied three coats of Zinsser's Perma-White. It dried much quicker than the can said it would and dried very hard. It had no odor and can be cleaned up with soap and water. I highly recommend this stuff!
Since the sponge couldn't get close enough to everything, I did have to go back with a small brush and go along the trim and the knob that opens and closes the flue.
Next, I added just a few drops of black paint to the Perma White to get a light gray color and using my sponge roller again, stenciled on the design. I held the stencil up with painters tape to keep it from moving. The most important thing to avoid bleeding and sleeping of paint under the stencil is to put the smallest amount of paint on the roller as possible. You will have to go over everything twice anyway, so take your time!
Here's a close up of the pattern. I used the Rabat Craft Stencil from Cutting Edge Stencils.
Let's take one last look at the vast difference between the "before" photo and the "after" photo. This project only took part of an afternoon to complete and was well worth the effort! You can see more on www.kammyskorner.com.

Kammy's Korner

• Carol

Would this workover marble?Son hates his dark, almost black, marble fireplace.