Upcycled Decor with Modern Masters - Metal Effects paint

$30

Check out my new project using a very cool product by Modern Masters, using their Metal Effects Paint. You can visit them and check out all their cool products at www.modernmasters.com. Like any new product, I did some trial runs and after reading the directions 10 times, to be sure I knew how the product works, I chose to use their oxidizing bronze paint with the blue patina aging solution.
In keeping with the repurposing/upcycling theme of most of my projects, I'm upcycling a vintage floor heating grate, recycled wood, but with new drawers pulls. My husband made the rustic box for the vision. "A Vintage Floor Grate Candle Tray." The thing about making a candle "tray" or "box" is if/when the wax spills over the candle it will drip down into the box and not look so messy. Just lift the grate and scrape out the wax when needed.
I chose to stain the box in an espresso with a bit of distressing, figuring the dark brown will accent the blue patina nicely. Keeping the box simple, since the grate and the handles really are the star of the show with using the Modern Masters - Metal Effects product.
I have to admit this became a labour of love, as I had hoped to use my air powered spray gun to apply the primer, it would have been much quicker with the intricate detail. However, the primer was too thick for my sprayer, and the application directions advise DO NOT THIN! and I like to follow the rules! So I did painstakingly prime the grate with a small brush. I just cranked up the radio, and before I knew it, voila...primed! The primer is brown.Then let it dry at least 12 hours.
Now the next step was going to be my challenge, applying the oxidizing bronze paint. I prayed to the heavens the paint would be suitable for my air powered sprayer, as with the intricacies of the grate, and the last step of applying/spritzing the blue patina aging solution having to be applied on WET PAINT (the second coat of oxidizing bronze paint) meaning I had to paint it quickly enough so the oxidizing bronze didn't dry too fast. And painting by hand just wouldn't allow for it....and guess what? My prayers were answered. It worked great with the sprayer. So here she is. It's something different, I've never seen one of these.
Here it is with the candles on it. They haven't yet begun to drip over and into the box.
I have several pics. You can see more at www.facebook.com/sunmoonstarsonline
Thank you to Hometalk for inviting me to participate in this share-a-thon, and to Modern Masters @ www.modernmasters.com for providing the wonderful product in sponsoring this event!!
Sincerely,
Lian Wright
www.facebook.com/sunmoonstarsonline

To see more: http://www.facebook.com/sunmoonstarsonline