Thrifty and Chic
Thrifty and Chic
  • Salt Lake City, UT

How To Clean Years of Grease Off Appliances

I have a huge grease problem in my kitchen, plus I have black appliances so it shows EVERYTHING. It's just horrible and disgusting. We clean the appliances with the grease cutting dish soap which only does so much. So after years and years of the grease gunk piling on, I decided to try something new: baking soda.
how to clean years of grease off appliances, appliances, cleaning tips, how to
I didn't realize how well this stuff works at cutting grease. I just placed some on to a wet rag and went to town rubbing the grease away.
The top picture was our worst spot of grease. No matter what we did, the grease would not come off. But, just a few minutes later with some baking soda, it magically disappeared!
You can see the before and after again here on the left and right.
It worked so well, I tried it on my microwave too! Success :)
Thrifty and Chic

• Lisa Marie Stewart

Will this work for the inside bottom of an oven?

• J E Cole

Hello all, Baking Soda is the bomb! If I had the room, I would buy it by the truck load. I use it for everything. ..including whiten my white clothes, brightening colored clothes. Washing plastic dishes. ..it gets the the yucky smells out (you may have to let it set a while ). I have burned pork chops in my good stainless pan....I sprinkled baking soda in the bottom and added water....then let it simmer on the stove while I did the dishes.... my stainless steel pan looks like new.

Use baking soda dry to freshen your carpets before you vacuum. It's uses are endless.

• Kit34442022

Does it work on refrigerators with the no hand print surfaces? Thank You

• Birdie

How to clean years of grease from well in downdraft exhaust stove.

• Kelly

Yes !!!!! Love this idea !!! Going to try on bottom of some pots 😃

• Laurie

I make a paste of baking soda and water a put it on the bottom and sides of an oven. Go to bed, enjoy my coffee in the morning, and then with a few old dish towels dampened, begin wiping off the dried mixture, starting at the sides. You want the towel/rag quite wet, but not so much that it runs. Rinse cloth frequently, and you will be amazed at how clean your oven will be. You may have to repeat for heavily burned on areas, but it will come off. For super stubborn spots, I use a bit of vinegar and baking soda. No fumes, no nasty chemicals. You can use a non scratch pad if needed, but I only need to use one in the worst spots. Best wishes.