Spring Flowers Made Using Plastic Spoons

Using plastic spoons for crafts is nothing new, but it's something that I hadn't done, so I thought I'd give it a try. Making flowers seemed like a good first time spoon craft for me. They are easy to put together and I've got several ideas in mind for using them in my spring time decor.
spring flowers made using plastic spoons, crafts, how to, repurposing upcycling
Breaking or cutting plastic spoons leaves jagged edges. After thinking about it for a bit, I decided that I would use a lighter to soften the plastic and then use scissors to cut the spoon apart.
Hold the spoon close to the flame for a few seconds and it will melt and bend down. It's easy to then snip it apart cleanly with scissors.
I used a small paper doily as a backing for these, but you can just as easily cut your own paper circle to use. Find the center point of the circle and use hot glue to place a petal in place. Continue adding petals, spacing them as close as you would like. The closer they are placed, the more petals you'll have, giving you a large or small flower.
To fill the center, I hot glued a small pom pom in place.
Using different colors gives the spring time pop I was looking for.
The best part about these little cuties is that the cost is next to nothing. Plastic spoons from the dollar store and a bag of pom poms and you're all set.
Beverly Roderick at Across the Blvd

• Dianne Tinline

So you think we could use a tea light in the center and they would float in a pool

• Ard7370318

Wow, Dianne, that was a great idea and you could buy a sheet of thin colored vinyl foam and attach it to the base of your spoons then add vinyl green leaves to make your lotus flower look more realistic! I just might make a few to put in my large concrete birdbaths as well as our little pond! You'll have to get a glue that won't melt your foam though!

• Claudette

Where do you find cheap colored spoons?

• Bwarner50

What did you do with the flowers once you had them finished? Let me know. I've made other flowers from spoons - like a giant sunflower last summer.

• Bri7991282

I think a string of lights used as the flower center would make for great patio lighting or used to "cute up" a little girl's bedroom. ( :

• Ard7370318

Like you I've never made anything using plastic spoons but I have a huge box of then that's just been taking up space forever so I think I'm going to make a few flowers to float in my birdbath. I think instead of using paper I will use some silk leaves to attach them to or possibly cut out a few leaves and paint them using a thin sheet of foam. I also like the idea another person said, and space my spoon centers large enough so that a tea light fits in the center then float them in my birdbath. Thanks for the inspiration!