Upcycled/ Repurposed Ladder | Bathroom Shelf DIY

Upcycled Ladder | Bathroom organization DIY
If you are anything like me, than you are likely on a budget. Times are tough for many of us, and going out and buying new and expensive shelving and storage units aren't always an option. So what do we need to do to give ourselves the space we need for storage without going over our budget?! We need to open our eyes to seeing items we already have (or can find for low cost at a thrift/antique store) in a whole new way. We need to upcycle something old into something new that will work for us- most of the time, using an item for a purpose it was not intended for – like this ladder I hung up and turned into a bathroom storage unit for my skinny upstairs bathroom.
The idea for this project started brewing early last week, when I found an old red license plate out in our barn. I brought it into the house knowing I wanted to create something with it. A little bit later the same day I was cleaning my bathroom, and bothered by the fact we never have anywhere to set our little items or hang towels because of the skinny narrow shape of our bathroom.
Then.... I thought of the idea to turn the ladder on its side, and add some hooks so it will double as a shelf for small items, and as a place to hang a few towels for guests when they step out of the shower.
Here is the ladder before:
I simply nailed in two small finishing nails to attach the license plate to the ladder to give it some added character:
Next I attached two oil rubbed bronze Dragonfly hooks I purchased at Target a few years ago and found again in my project supply room today:
Final step was to hang the ladder on the wall and use!
As I had mentioned above, this is a great solution for storing smaller items like tp, lotions, makeup, and hanging towels, when you don't have a large vanity cupboard and a floor storage unit isn't an option. The bathroom ladder doesn't take up much space and doesn't cost a ton of money!
Need or want something new in your bathroom or home?! Take a look around your own home first, looking at everything with a new set of eyes and think 'how can I use this differently?!'
Thanks for reading,
~Kelly
upcycled repurposed ladder bathroom shelf diy, bathroom ideas, repurposing upcycling, shelving ideas, storage ideas
Anchored Way Trading Co.

• Heartbeat

This is great, but I have small bathrooms and not a lot of wall space. But I do have a ladder from bunk beds, any ideas????

• Nancy

what kind of nails or hardware did you use to attach the ladder to the wall?
  • Bryan Biery

floor space especially in an older home is limited, particularly for the handicappedim thinkONG that IF the ceiling is high enough, and IF lighting can be arranged, of suspending from ceiling and using a hooks to slip say, a pail for soaps & shampoos, a chain or rope With to and paper towels, & the bars for linens along with extra a hooks for robe or towels @ possibly a mirror on one end where light is brightest with a small matching or contrasting bucket or straw bag for make up & essential oils/moisturizers, comb, leave in conditioner.
  • Cheryl

I have an old ladder that is dirty and rough From being left out in the elements for many years. How can I clean it up and make it less rough without too much sanding?
    • FL

Scrub with a bucket of soap suds, a brush and a garden hose for rinsing. Let dry completely. Give a quick sanding with sandpaper or steel wool. Use wood putty to fill deep cracks, gashes and other flaws. Use primer if you plan to paint it. Or leave it au naturel (like in this post). Finish off the painting if that's what you decide.
    • Anchored Way Trading Co.

Yes! Great ideas! Steel wool is wonderful for cleaning!

• Barbara Dooley

Would it be possible to cut a rung and remove enough so that it could be used as a spindle for the extra toilet paper rolls?
  • Deborah Dee

What did you use to hang it?

• Anchored Way Trading Co.

Hi Deborah! I used two picture frame mounting brackets , attached them to the back and then put screws into the wall and hung it that way. You could always drill all the way through the ladder and into the wall directly too if you had long enough screws.

• La Habra Fence Company

What a nice idea for converting a ladder to a shelf of the bathroom! You can also use old fences for making a shelf.

• Lovesunique

Adding the dragonfly hooks was a great idea. I bought some at Lowe's for my bathroom. Ladder into shelf/towel holder. Love it!