Turn Upholstered Dining Chair Seats Into Wood!

Look at these nasty seat covers before, to give you an idea of how old they were, horse hair was used for the padding.
Originally I was going to make a patterned from these and upholster the seats again. I was a little worried about upholstered chairs as I do have 3 young children but I couldn't think of a better idea .... until my husband suggested making wood tops instead. Brilliant right??!! The only problem was I had never done that before.....until now!
First I stripped the chairs all the way down and painted them in a custom mixed cream color.
Next I cut out wood to be the base for the new tops
Then it got a little tricky, I had to make a template for my seats.
To get the back curve right I used a protractor, it worked like a charm. I wanted my seat tops to hang over roughly a 1/2 inch.
Once we had the template cut out we traced them on to our sheet pine. You can buy sheets of pine like this from Lowes. (notice Dave's finger, he sliced it open with a table saw so use caution on this next step)
Once everything was all traced we used a jigsaw to cut out the curved back and then ran the straight edges through the table saw.
And this is what you get!
To stain my chairs I first used Miniwaxes Dark Walnut, once that stain had dried I applied Miniwaxes Cherry stain over the top to warm it up just a bit!

Brooke @ Start at Home

• Gaetane

Really like this, was just wondering if you also did the tabletop!!! because the stain colors match perfectly!!!

• Abla

How to add more cushion to my dining room chairs?

• SpudBread

CHAIR CUSHIONS -- go to an upholstery shop, get foam ruber cut to fit the shape of your chair seats (trace one of the chair seat bottom boards onto a firm paper to make a pattern, most upholsterers will cut the foam for you-- fast, easy, and generally no charge!), take your new cushions home, cover the foam with 1/8" thick polyester fleece. I did mine in white. We made removable elastic rimmed "seat slip covers" to put over everything (in the style of a toilet seat cover). If there's a spill, and/or when the covers get dirty-- in the laundry they go!!! GOOD LUCK-- I hope this helps ... CHEERS!

• Kathryn

hi I was wondering if you could something like that with chairs that were cane on the seat? Or if anyone know how to make a bench out of 3 chairs

• SpudBread

The new chair seats are FANTASTIC and GORGEOUS!!!! The stained wood color is artistically perfect! GOOD JOB, kiddos! (So sorry about the cut finger-- been there done that too--- hope it's "all better now!" )

• Maureen

Very clever idea!! Your table and chairs look brand new. Nice job 👌