Turn Upholstered Dining Chair Seats Into Wood!

Look at these nasty seat covers before, to give you an idea of how old they were, horse hair was used for the padding.
turn upholstered dining chair seats into wood, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling, woodworking projects
Originally I was going to make a patterned from these and upholster the seats again. I was a little worried about upholstered chairs as I do have 3 young children but I couldn't think of a better idea .... until my husband suggested making wood tops instead. Brilliant right??!! The only problem was I had never done that before.....until now!
First I stripped the chairs all the way down and painted them in a custom mixed cream color.
Next I cut out wood to be the base for the new tops
Then it got a little tricky, I had to make a template for my seats.
To get the back curve right I used a protractor, it worked like a charm. I wanted my seat tops to hang over roughly a 1/2 inch.
Once we had the template cut out we traced them on to our sheet pine. You can buy sheets of pine like this from Lowes. (notice Dave's finger, he sliced it open with a table saw so use caution on this next step)
Once everything was all traced we used a jigsaw to cut out the curved back and then ran the straight edges through the table saw.
And this is what you get!
To stain my chairs I first used Miniwaxes Dark Walnut, once that stain had dried I applied Miniwaxes Cherry stain over the top to warm it up just a bit!
Brooke @ Start at Home

• Ajc

Excellent work! I wonder about the front corners being slightly rounded and how that might integrate more with the frame.

• Gaetane

Really like this, was just wondering if you also did the tabletop!!! because the stain colors match perfectly!!!