I have a single lever faucet in my shower. I need to know how to get the handle off so I can remove the face plate.

I know there is a hole facing down on the handle. But I don't know how to remove the handle.
  3 answers
  • 3po3 3po3 on Dec 20, 2012
    Most faucets I have seen have a set screw that can be removed with an Allen wrench. It's probably in that little hole you are talking about.

  • Steve is most likely correct. Small set screw in that hole. Sometimes very small regular screw and then even some other times simply a little pin that gets pushed up to release the handle. But my bet is set screw. When replacing the face plate. Use plumbers putty. Roll it into a long hotdog shape and wrap it around the entire face plate along the edge. However leave a small gap where the bottom would be so if any water does leak past the putty once on the wall, it has a place to escape. Push the face plate into place. Once fastened in, simply rub off what ever putty seeps out around the edges. Put your handle on and your done.

  • KMS Woodworks KMS Woodworks on Dec 21, 2012
    That screw is really small...like a 2 or 3mm... 1/16 ". I would advise not using plumber's putty if you have a natural stone shower. I have seen where the component "oil" that keeps plumbers putty pliable bleeds into unsealed stone ( in this case granite) and left staining. A better alternative is to apply a generous bead of clear caulk during the install. The stuff that goes on white and dries clear. just like with the putty leave a small 1/2" gap at the bottom for drainage.