Pool Chairs

Wondering what to do with your old plastic chairs? We didn't want to throw ours out, so we cut off the legs and painted them. Now they're great for sitting around the pool, and dangling your feet in the water
Cut and paint...
They also cheer up the environment ☺️

• Rita Timmerman

What paint did you use?

• Tes6303962

I USE VINTRO CHALK PAINT for my outside plastic chairs and pots they also sell a extreme lacquer that protects the paint #vintrochalkpaint

• Cwi2193546

Krylon sells a paint for just this type of application

• Dawn Smerroskie Ebersole

what paint did you use? and what prep did you use before painting?

• Sandi

I use Krylon...

• Pauline Sodermark

There are quite a few companies that make paint that will stick to plastic now. Think that Rustoleum does as well.

• Connie P Lanagan

Nothing sticks to plastic long. I have used a lot of products. Water will wash it off eventually. Unless you seal it will something afterwards good and sturdy.

• Michelle Furr

Are they loose or stuck down, if so what with?

• Jewellmartin

These chairs are not stuck down. You can move them where you want them. I have a bad back and the water is great for me. But I could sit in one of these on the second or third seat down at the shallow end. I could be cool from my waist down, and enjoy the sun on my top half. And these look so cheerful around the pool! Best wishes 😇
  • Robin

So... how do you get down into those chairs...or more importantly, out of them???

• Kendra

Getting out eould be easy, as long as you don't mind jumping in the water! But I'd live to see a video of even the most limber person getting into them!

• Melissa Stowe

Install a water resitant swivel seat underneath! ;-)

• Mary Ann Williams

Would just use for decor.

• Mer

Guess jump in the pool?

• Deanna Wilkerson Edwards

How would you get down and up without them. Will you never set pool side?

• Dawn Renee' Lemons Freeman

Have you folks never been to the pool or Beach? These seem to keep your rear up off the ground more than most pool or Beach chairs. If you think you'll have trouble getting in or out of them, don't bother!

• Cheryl

Even if you put a swivel underneath, how do older lumber people get down low enough to get in and then swivel themselves around? They are pretty though sitting pool side like that. Maybe add a pretty color flower pot with greenery or pretty flowers.

• Michelle Leigh

They don't

• Mother Harper

Maybe mainly for the"water babies" in the pool? If they wanna take a breather? BUT if the spectators wanna "dangle" a bit, they can just figure it out on their own!!

• Paege

I am pretty sure they are not secured in postion, so you can pull it ou and sit! Such a clever idea! Yhanks!

• Andrea Southey DeGraaf

My thoughts exactly!

• Renata

Omgosh ppl! I guarentee u old n feeble ppl r not going to even attempt to get in those chairs. They are for the young ppl. Get in sit for awhile n drop over into the pool. Great cute idea. N btw my 200 lb gf sits in mine with no breaking problems , just a little tight fit. Lol

• Linda Kelley Bridges

⬆️ Guess us old & feeble ppl should just be put off in a corner and not worry bout if we want to be cool or not! Help the older ppl to sit in the chairs in the shallow water! That would be nice!! Get to cool off & feel like a part of the human society again!!

• Michele

Lol Linda Kelley Bridges, I love it!!!!

• Robin

Oh my my I didn't mean to start a war They are very cute but I was really just asking. And yes. I am a frequent beachgoer. These are right on the pool deck, unlike any beach/ sand chair I have ever put my tush in. So could y'all not be so defensive and argumentative Yeesh!

• Jackie

These chairs dry rot over the seasons. That's why my big arse snapped one when attempting to sit. Putting them on a bench,superb idea. No wide hipsters though,lol

• Susan murphy

I think they would be perfect at the beach in the shallow part .

• Michelle Sandvig

just slip into the pool and walk over to the steps :)

• Serena Pelles Miller

How about attaching a foam pool noodle around the outside of the seat, then use it to sit in, in the water?

• Linda Kelley Bridges

No war, just a suggestion to include the older generation into the idea with a bit of humor as I am in that age bracket. Not saying that anyone would ostracize us! Trying to get & stay cool down in the pool comfortably !!🐳

• Old_clockguy

Well, this guy is 73 and, as I post this invitation, to all who are not already half in the grave ...... mentally anyway, to come on down to the FL Panhandle and I will be glad to teach y'all how to get into and out of these complicated butt bunks!! When you start talking yourself into BEING old, that is the first step to actually BEING old!! Me?? Heck, I sincerely hope I NEVER grow up and become old, as it is now, all of my fun friends are 20 years younger than myself! Personally, I get bored to tears when I am around people my age who think the entire world revolves around their little aches and pains!! Get OVER it people, we ALL have little aches and pains, we all are growing OLD, if that's the term you want to use. Once you get past the whine party, you will probably notice that getting "old", with all the bells and whistles (like little aches and pains thrown in for free) and the eventual death of the physical body is the one and the only thing that the Good Lord gave to each of us that has an iron clad "lifetime guarantee"! (I prefer to think of myself as akin to a good bottle of '43 vintage, getting finer and smoother with age!!! Ha!) Hope I didn't offend any of you "oldsters" with my warped humor but I just came in from a 4 mile kayak paddle this morning and was a bit "tetched" by the sun, ....... it's mid-80's, sunny and just enough breeze to make it comforting to be on the water. I know it's a chore to have to go out and enjoy such mundane things as kayaking and being on a beautiful bayou in the middle of a beautiful day on another "adventure" into a little back branch of the bayou I have to live on but ......... well, SOMEBODY has to do this so y'all, who enjoy their pity parties and take pleasure in making someone's pool party ideas get "rained on", will have enough time to get 'er done in style!!! Ha! ..... Again, ..... we now return to our regular programming ...................

• Helene Beadman

I think it's a great idea...and they look beautiful!!

• Sarah

cool idea! I wonder if they'd work on a bench seat to watch baseball /football. You know how hard it is to be comfortable on a bleacher seat for a long period of time without the back rest.

• Robin

Oooooo! Sarah that sounds like a smart idea! On the bleachers is brilliant!

• Wendy

THAT IS DEFINITELY BRILLIANT IDEA !! :)

• Lorna

What kind of paint stays on plastic? How to prep the surface?

• Carolyn Mackle

what kind of paint

• Lorie

Rustoleum spray paint! I just did some for my front yard. Looks great. It will say its for plastic to.

• Dianna Smith

How do you keep the chairs from sliding around on the concrete?

• Helene Beadman

You can buy this non skid roll at the dollar store and glue to the bottom of the chairs. You put this stuff in kitchen drawers or under rug. A roll is 3.00$ many colors to choose from. Double face tape probably would keep it in place..

• Terii Stevenson

Have you tried using them as a sit down and relax IN the pool flotation device?

• Beatrice Tangeman

Are they tricky to sit down in?

• Sandy Violette

Not if your 3 ft tall

• Hersey

Does not make sence to me.. What's the purpose

• Dianna Weber Detterman

Just not to throw away!

• Linda Haddon

Very cute idea. I love to sit by the pool and watch the kids they even great to sit at the wedge of water on beach or at the lake so u can sit back and and relax and stretch your legs out while sitting in the sands with the little ones. Keeps your bottom off out of the sand and off the concrete but close to the kids and dip in water and washes right off

• Lori

Linda Haddon I like your idea. But I would have one big problem once I got down it would take me firdber to get up! Hahahhaa

• Kit

Hersey These are great to protect you bathing suits from being ruined by the concrete. I like the backs to give some support.

• Sta7547558

I would just leave the legs on and paint. Problem solved.

• Beatrice Tangeman

Sarcastic genius (:

• Brookie Hardin Phelps

How and what do you use to cut the legs off???

• Brookie Hardin Phelps

How and with what do you cut the legs off???

• Ruth Colley

Personally I would just use a hacksaw. Get a blade with fine teeth and sand the edges of the cuts smooth to finish.

• Rita Stinson

I love the idea due to the back support when sitting on tiered seats at football or the beach etc etc. Fantastic idea.

• Carleen Sam Foultz Talamo

So, what did you use to clean them with prior to painting & what kind of paint?

• Sop7133735

Not about painting, but want an answer to a problem please. I have 6 nice heavy duty plastic chairs, that are starting to split where the seat joins the leg & arm on sides. Not split right through yet. Need to use something that will reinforce the splits. Any helpful advice

• D. K

Looks cute.... But how do you sit in them without breaking your neck getting in?

• Maria Almeida

They are not white anymore. They have some black spots of humidity. How can I clean them? And painting?

• Marion Brockbank

Try bleach it usually does it

• Sophia Gavins

I used JiffAjax cleanser. Rub some all over wuth damp cloth. Leave for 20 mins. Wash or hose off.

• Isobel

If you have a swimming pool, dump them in overnight - will come out super clean. A few spots/discoloration will be covered by the paint, don't worry about that.

• Maria

pressure hose does it for me

• Dorothy Henderson

Wipe with cleaning vinegar.

• Lori Deshane

I use an all purpose cleaner like Spic and Span and a pressure washer. Shaving cream works too if you don't have a pressure washer

• Cindy

Some of the spray paints come worth a primer already. This covers it

• Deborah Dargis

I have used soft scrub with bleach and thrown them in the pool...they are now "rough". Wondering if I can sand and paint or if it isn't worth the money and time...

• Maria Almeida

Thank you all. I am going to try some of the ideas. Will revert later.

• Maria Almeida

• Der7725327

Put bleach in a spray bottle. Spray the chair on sidewalk or driveway. You can watch them come clean. When clean rinse with hose. Hard to clean spots I use cleanser and a scrub brush.

• Felicita Chacon

what kind of paint to use for this type of chairs...

• Mimi

Rustoleum Painters Touch 2X..... Bonds to plastic. Found at Lowe's, home Depoy, Ace Hardware. Anywhere like that.

• Nadine Ismail

Spraypaint

• Shelley Tihen Woelfel

Can you add these paint names etc to the pin so there their when u pin them

• Rosemary Pope-Wallin

They're there...not there their

• Mel

Rosemary maybe you should get a life. We all know what she meant.

• Sjkfluff

Don't be so harsh. It is nice to be reminded that there is proper English that is still being used. She's probably a teacher.

• K

Sigh.

• Joanne

Yes, rosemary, don't sweat the small things. Be kind.

• Rhoda Werier Campbell

I saw a paint advertised on TV for metal chairs or all metal which repels rain water etc, sold at home hardware, Lowes, and Home Depot . Do you know the name of it?

• Susan Mundahl

Rustoleum?

• Rhoda Werier Campbell

Thank you so much, it was your idea about the chairs that I saw the pain. I appreciate you Answering my question. Rhoda Campbell

• Patricia

How do you sit in the chair without falling into the pool? Not for everyone!

• Sha

That was the first thing I thought as well. Lol

• Lynne Webb

LOL! Good question Patricia. I was thinking how much better it would be to sit in a chair like that than on concrete but then, you've certainly got a point. How would you get your fanny in and not totally fall in?

• Danny Harris

Carefully before having pool side beverages! Lol, seems to be more suited for the young folk!!

• Michelle Thompson

Regarding the pool chairs with the legs cut off for sitting around the pool edge. Exactly how do you get in them to sit down? Can't really climb over them as there is nowhere to step onto once you tried stepping over the back of the chair. It's hard to lift yourself out of the pool backwards onto the chair. So I'm not sure how they'd work. It's a really cute, colorful idea but is it practical if it is so hard to get in them?

• Kathy Green Blackshear

There are several ways but it depends on the person and your pool. Some pools have seating just inside the pool, stand there, move the seatto the side and sit down. Another way is to sit down on the side of the pool like you normally do, then slide it up behind you. You could always sit down Indian style in the chair then scoot up to the edge of the pool. The seats aren't permanent, you can move them around.

• Michelle Thompson

Cute and colorful but not too practical

• Mar7623070

I think it is staging! I cut the legs low after one leg broke. They are great "beach chairs". Move em around to sit where you want and enjoy stretching out your own legs!

• Linda Jung

They are cute and love the colors. If your pool has the steps in the shallow end that is part of the pool, they would be so cool there. Sit, cool off without really getting in the pool so your grandkiddos can try to dunk you.

• Terri L Cook

I think for adults its not practical. I think it would be hard to get out of them without going in the water

• Deb4172001

I Agree that this is just staging. a person would get hurt getting in or out of them . Oh well, it made the home talk page. I'm looking for more usable ideas.

• Debra Ekdahl

Great idea: colorful and creative! If people don't want them-why comment? Lol

• Abb7421189

My sister and I are 'older ladies' and we like to sit on the edge of the pool wher the step is. You can stand on the step and put the chair on the deck where you're going to sit and sit down! It is nice to have a seat with a back back to support our tired backs. I think this idea is great. No reason to make fun of people's ideas just because you don't understand how to use them

• Lisa Erthal

And why is everyone afraid of getting wet at a pool? LOL!! Great idea!!! Love them!

• Kendra Curry

Do they fasten down anyway, or just sit there? I would be afraid someone would fall in the pool if not fastened down.

• Sharon Johns-Cassidy

How do you secure them to the ground?

• Loi6373987

I would think you could find a epoxy glue to attach the seats to the edge of pool. You could ad a simple . Two step ladder using pvc pipes with three way pvc connectors

• Nan8659478

What type of paint was used?

• Cindy

what kind of spray paint due you use???

• Rhonda Gorsline

Krylon (sp?) make a spray paint for plastic. You can find it at Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot

• Bea1470070

Rustoleum is better than Krylon in my opinion. The Krylon has more fun colors, but doesn't stick like Rustoleum for plastic!

• Jandidit

How do you sit down / get into the chair?

• Constance Paquette

Will the paint stay on the heavy duty plastic chairs? And do I have to rough them up with sand paper or can I just clean them and paint away?

• Julie Kaser

What kind of paint works on plastic?

• Brenda Bossard Maloney

Wonder if you could put a cushion under them and use in the pool??

• RW

I see no possible easy way to sit in those chairs. Please demonstrate.

• Antoinette Sise Broome

Could you then use them to float around the pool

• Susan Engler

Has anyone actually tried getting in or out of those chairs? I believe it's impossible without falling into the pool.

• Jwc6050553

how would one go about painting these? Any sanding and priming involved? Oil or water base paint? Do the chip once they are painted?

• Verena

What kind of p aint to use on plastic chairs?

• Dar5784127

What lindo of paint? Do you sand them or prime them

• Carrie

the paint they sell for plastic explains how to prep chairs. I just cleaned with ammonia and sprayed.

• Janice Wilmoth

How do u attach them to the pool side or they just sitting there.

• Jackie Byrd

I like the idea of sitting in one and dangling legs & feet in the pool. [sigh] But, how the heck do you get into it?

• Kandice Kennedy

Oh My Gooness, thats so funny! You're right though, i'm trying to think and I can't think of a way that wouldnt be completely awkward. LOL!!

• Jennifer MacCashland

up out of the pool

• Gioia Mancinelli

dumb, all they do is look cute and I have painted plastic chairs with the corect paint followed the directions the paint still scrapes off

• Susan Woolhiser-Gady

Put a few of the foam float tub under them and make a floating chair!

• Amanda

You would get in and out like normal. They are there for sitting on.. Not getting in.

• Janet AF

they are too close together to get in and out of. you could only use the ones on the end as you have to be able to sit down and then scoot yourself into them.

• Rogbizben1

They look pretty even if you can't sit in them.I think Susan has the right idea.

• Dhirons

Was thinking the same thing!

• Sue Sweeney Vaughn Reed

Step over the backs of the chairs and scoot down into a sitting position.

• Edna Hawk

That is funny, to close together. Just for a picture.

• Liia

What specific product do you paint the chairs with, and what is the best thing to clean them with first to remove the ground-in dirt?

• Judy Young

Do they tip over into the pool?

• Edna-Grace

Maybe if you have had too many margerites.

• Cherie Marie

No

• Rogbizben1

Not if someone is sitting in them :)

• Wcj14609759

Could glue them

• Rebecca Kanar

How it the world do you get into the chair? Lol, they are soooo close together.... think about it! Lol

• Cathy Sorrells Hodgson

That's a staged photo, they are move-able. They aren't anchored down. You can place them anywhere you want so they aren't close together.

• Joanie

I love what you did to these chairs, but I don't understand how you would sit down in them??????? Do you pick them up and put your backside in the chair and then sit down??????

• Gascon Little Anne

I'm wondering if I would add foam under the chair if they would float in the pool?

• Joanne Clark Wetmore

What an awesome idea!!

• Gabriele Ruggaber-Rapp

I was thinking the same thing! 🙌

• Joyce

try and let us know

• Katie McHugh Pekarske

Just make sure you use a waterproof paint! I can see attaching "pool noodles" (cut in short rows) underneath to make them bouyant!

• AMH

Or thread 2 long, thick pool noodles through the space under the armrests, around the back & out the otherside. You could use plastic laces though the back slats to attach the pool noodle (s) to the chair back.

• Gretchen A

How do you get out of the chair without getting wet?

• Sandra Herzog

How did you paint 🎨 the chairs?

• Becky

What did you use to cut off the legs?

• Carol zemla

What kind of paint did you use
    • Sgw941312

FG
    • Jacquie Watson

What the heck is FG?
    • Diena Cameron

@CarolZemla, i think that Rustoleum has a spray paint out that is specifically made for plastic. Walmart, Amazon or just about any hardware store out there should carry it. It has become very popular for anything from dipping the handles of your garden tools in to covering up the ugly paint colors of those plastic garden chairs or even toys (probably not good for little babies that like to chew on things) but older kids toys that get faded from being left outside. Hope that helps you.
    • Diena Cameron

@CarolZemla, sorry, that is Krylon....not Rustoleum. .)
  • Katie Brown

How do they stay in place
  • Connie Campisi

How do they stay inplace
    • Peter Smith

They just sit there unless it's really windy. Then you fish them out.
  • Deverle Baird

What paint do you use
  • A-b25791819

what paint do u use
    • Mysty Wytch

Rust-O-Lium that's specific for plastic...you can ask your dealer...they really make it....

• Betty Jo Wilkening

What kind of saw did you use?
    • Peter Smith

We used a sawzall with metal blade. You can use a jig saw or even a hacksaw.
      Can't believe 1.7 million view our chairs
      , This is our latest project 4 square court 12 foot by 12 foot
    • Peter Smith

this is our new project. 4 square court . 12 foot by 12 foot
  • Cheryl

How do you get in and out of them?
    • Amx25382528

Carefully.
    • Lorianne Phillips

Good question Cheryl, my thoughts exactly, and Amxam "carefully" is not a good answer.

• SM

Add a base and put 2 swivel locking wheels on the front, and regular on the back.
    • Meg Heffernan-Sherman

Can you provide more details on how to secure the base and wheels please?
    • Joanie

Just slide off into the pool, I guess???. They do add some color around your pool......pretty seats with no legs....
    • Vpe21815830

These seats would also prove very awesome at sporting events outdoors as the bleachers you have to sit on are sometimes not too clean. You can use a cushion and soothe your back while watching your event. I love this idea and will be doing a few for my husband and myself and grand children.
    • Candy

Great idea!!
    • Gail B

Lean back and swivel your legs to the side.
    • Wendy

Attach a lazy susan type base to them. Honestly not sure how to do that myself but I thought that would be a great idea.
  • Brian T MCGRATH

how do you make the chairs level? How much of the legs do you cut off?

• Brian T MCGRATH

how much of the leg do you cut off? how do you make it level?

• Rosemary Richards

Wonder if you could add pool noodles to them and actually use them in the pool??

• Bonnie Cameron

How to cut legs

• Brenda Miller

what kind of paint did you use?? I tried painting once and it didn't really stick. Thanks

• Joanie
    Yesterday

I have an in the ground pool. I don't see how you get IN these chairs???? I should of put this in the question area...sorry.

• UglyPoolGuy

Fantastic Idea to liven up the Pool area! Simple and stylish at the same time.

• Cherie Marie

Thank you! It was lots of fun and it does cheer up the pool 💕😎💕😎😎💕💕💕💕💕

• Deborah Keen

I'd like to add some suction cups to the bottom....so cute and possibly take to games for stadium seatingd