Tonya Miller Dean
Tonya Miller Dean
  • Kailua Kona, HI

1972 Dresser

This dresser (along with two night stands and mirror) was given to me by a dear family friend. She moved into a new place and only had room for the matching chest of drawers. I've been patiently waiting for a piece like this to paint a bold color and my patience finally paid off. Then... who would want such a piece? But I thought of a young lady whom this would suit perfectly. Natasha (15) and I did this project together. She is redecorating her room and this dresser is now proudly the center of her decor.
We did one coat of Valspar sumptuous purple mixed with some unsanded grout for homemade chalk paint. Then we mixed up a black glaze with black paint and glazing medium. We brushed on the black glaze and wiped off with a rag. Then some top coat. We painted the original hardware black. This was not a difficult project and the only expense was the purple paint. I already had everything else on hand. I LOVE how it turned out!
I almost forgot the before pic. I had already removed the hardware.
Top drawer with coat of paint. Bottom drawer after the black glaze. (This is the best true color photo)
1972 dresser, chalk paint, painted furniture
Finished!
Finished!

• Teresa Schroepfer

I think it's wonderful. A good project to work together on. Purple was my choice of color too at 15. I bet she will love it for a long time.

• Kate

Great dresser for the right person. I really like that you did it with her, too, so she has the skills to change it up when she wants to.