Jeanette S
Jeanette S
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Atlanta, GA
Asked on Dec 28, 2012

Does anyone know the name of a palm that can survive in cold weather?

Terrie Kaufman360 Sod (Donna Dixson)Douglas Hunt
+3

For some time now we have been looking for some tall exotic plants that will survive cold weather...we get several days below freezing here in Atlanta. I have seen some and thought I would ask my HT friends before I stopped to knock on the doors of strangers to ask questions.
  • 3po3

I don't have any personal experience with hardy palms. It would take quite a palm tree to survive a Colorado winter, but your cooperative extension office has this nice summary of palms that work in GA: http://www.caes.uga.edu/applications/gafaces/?public=viewStory&pk_id=4046

• Wind Mill Palm is a cold hardy palm and we have used it here in GA on several projects.

• Jeanette S

Thanks...I will investigate!

Some palms will actually take temperatures in the teens, although hopefully you won't have to test that. In addition to the rock-hardy windmill, check out the native sabal, the pindo, Canary Island and true date palms, and any of the fan palms: California, Mexican or European.

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

@Jeanette S , the only one we carry is the Windmill Palm. The keys to successful planting is to get your soil mix right. It is best to plant them in 1/3 sand, 1/3 humus or peat moss and 1/3 top soil. They need really great drainage in order to move our heavy rain bouts off of the roots fast. Also if we have an ice storm warning, if you can cover the crown (the top of the plant where the fronds emerge so the ice does bust it up.

• Terrie Kaufman

My neighbor here in Vancouver, WA raises Wind Mill Palms and Bananas in our cold winters and they do just fine. Most of us take a the time to wrap our Muso Bajoo (Bananas) after cutting the plant down a bit. So far, so good..................