Rustic Glam Hutch

This is what the hutch looked like when I got it. It really wasn't pretty and it didn't smell very good - it smelled like cats and smoke. One of the glass inserts to one of the cabinet doors was cracked, too. But, none of these things bothered me because I saw her potential and I knew I could fix her up! :)
I decided I wanted to make her look rustic but dress her up with a bit of glam! So, I started by removing everything that I didn't like...
I removed all of the glass from the cabinets, the cheap backing, the dated detailing on the cabinet doors and the middle cabinet door (which wasn't a real functioning door). I just used a good old putty knife and hammer to remove the detailing on the doors. Then I filled in the holes with wood filler. When the wood filler was dry I sanded it with a fine grit sandpaper until it was butter smooth.
Finally I was able to start painting! First I sprayed the entire thing with silver metallic paint. Then I sealed the silver using Shellac (in the spray can). I painted the outside of the hutch in a custom mix of Wildflowers & Pistols Milk Paint using the colors Annie and Priscilla. I painted the inside of the hutch using Wildflowers & Pistols Milk Paint in Priscilla. You can purchase the milk paint here ----> www.wildflowersandpistols.com
I built cubbies where the fake cabinet door used to be. I was getting so excited by this point!! :)
I replaced the old, broken glass with chicken wire. I kept the original hardware but I updated them with a couple coats of an oil rubbed bronze paint.
THIS is why I painted the hutch with silver metallic paint first. It look so gorgeous with the silver peeking through the dark blue/gray color! - Also here's a peek at the new back!! :)
I purchased these metal baskets from Hobby Lobby. They were originally a big bird yellow. Which could have been cute for something else.. but definitely not for this piece. So, first I painted them with the oil rubbed bronze paint then I lightly coated them with a silver nickel finish paint. Doesn't the silver peeking through look SO great with the back and the baskets!?
Even though I distressed the hutch, I wanted it to have a finished elegance to it ( or glam!) So I painted the inside of the bottom cabinets and I continued the detailed design of the back behind them as well.
Ok, so, for the back I painted it with Wildflowers & Pistols Milk Paint using Priscilla then I got a stencil and some pearly white acrylic paint from hobby lobby. Then, I just stenciled the design onto the entire back. I LOVE the pearly white!! It's subtle but beautiful and adds SO much charm to this hutch!!
*sigh* I think I could stare at this all day!
I LOVE the chicken wire on those cabinets!!
I'm pretty sure that this is my all time fave piece that I've done so far! It's rustic, it's country... but it's PRETTY! I love everything about this!! I hope y'all do too! :)

Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
Instantly Upgrade Your Living Space With These Amazing DIY Ideas
15 Genius Hacks to Keep Pests Away
20 Ways To Make Your Own Personalized Clock
30 Stylish Update Ideas You'll Want To Use For Your Bedroom
10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters

To see more: https://www.facebook.com/TheHayloftCCC

• Kati Hanson

Love this. Love the idea of silver spray paint to distress!!! Thank you for the great idea😁

• Lovesunique

This sure was an "ugly" hutch to start with. It reminds me of the bar areas in 70's basements. You made it so pretty! Love the chicken wire in place of glass and the stencil backing was genius..just enough glam to go with the silver. Interesting this hutch originally had no drawers for linens, so adding the baskets (again painting genius) makes it totally functional for a kitchen, dining area, or even family room.