Kathleen M
Kathleen M
  • Manahawkin, NJ
Asked on Dec 28, 2012

Chair rail ~~~In or Out ?

Sandy TrominKMS WoodworksKathleen M
+3

Getting ready to paint ...........again. Have open concept home and chair rail in the main living area. My dec style if I have to have one would be eclectic to transitional ( lol ) My question is ; is chair rail OUT? I would like to remove it but know my husband will have a fit because of the cost it took to put it there. Is there a trick to making it fit more to my eclectic/trans tastes? thanks y'all! Kath
  • Kimberly Barney

You could simply paint it the same color as the wall color.

• It's really neither - you're right to think based on your own taste! Depending on the room transitions in your home, doing all your molding in that room a decorative or dark color is one possibility. You could also think of painting it to look like metal and doing some decorative embellishments above and below it!

• Celeste R

I agree with both comments- my two cents are I have chair railing in my home and have seen a room that really looked fresh & sophisticated by painting above the railing a lighter color and below railing a darker color in for example a light cream & dark brown. It really looked good!

• Kathleen M

been muddling thru this all day, thanks for the input!!! I know in my head I want it gone. So, I guess makin it disappear by painting all one color like Kimberly said is a good way

• KMS Woodworks

I love the look in some homes...like in this one I have been working on http://www.hometalk.com/722034/proper-paint-protocol

• Sandy Tromin

it adds interest even with the same color because its dimensional