Easy DIY Hanging Closet Rod

I only had one clothes closet in my NYC studio apartment so I needed to maximize every inch of space in there. To double my hanging space, I made a simple hanging rod that's inexpensive, only took minutes to make and is easy to customize to whatever closet you have!
You can get everything you need at the hardware store and here's what I used to make mine: 1 hardwood dowel (1 1/4” diameter), 4-8 eye screws, chain (2 lengths of ~ 3.5 ft long), 4 chain links, s-hooks
You cut the dowel to the length that you need (you can also have that done at the hardware store), and put in the eye screws.
You use the chain links to tie the chain to the existing closet rod and to the wood dowel.
You can use the hanging rod to hang clothes of course, but I used mine to store bags & purses and my long boots using pant or skirt hangers (to protect soft leather, pad the clips with foam or cardboard).
To see a video of how I made the closet rod extension, you can watch this video of another closet makeover I did - just fast forward to 4:23 min to see it.
In this video, you can see other ways I maximized storage and organized my 450 ft2 NYC studio to make it a functional and happy place to live and work!

These Amazing Vase Ideas Will Blow Your Guests Away!
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
Hide Your Couch's Wear and Tear With These Great Ideas
3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home
4 Chemical-Free Ways To Clean In Your Home
Engineer Your Space

• Margaret Smith
    Margaret Smith

The youtube video linked is the overview of all you did in your NYC apartment, before moving to LA. Trying to watch the actual construction of closet rod extension. 😃

• Engineer Your Space
      Engineer Your Space

@Margaret Smith I show how to make the closet rod extension in this video of another closet I made over for a friend - you can fast forward to 4:23 min to see it.

• Margaret Smith
    Margaret Smith

Thank you! You have a new addict. . . I mean, fan.