Sarah's Big Idea
Sarah's Big Idea
  • Minneapolis, MN

The Hardest Button to Button: A DIY Tufted Storage Ottoman.

$50

During my recent music room makeover, I found myself looking for ways to incorporate some extra seating. My sights settled on an old cedar-lined storage chest, which was the right height for seating but didn't present the most inviting surface. I considered simply upholstering it, but one day while listening to The White Stripes' song "The Hardest Button to Button," I thought, why just wrap the lid in
the hardest button to button a diy tufted storage ottoman, painted furniture, storage ideas, reupholster, DIY tufted storage ottoman
DIY tufted storage ottoman.
I started by removing the lid and all the hardware, then drew out my grid with a sharpie. I drilled tiny pilot holes at the intersections where the buttons would go.
the hardest button to button a diy tufted storage ottoman, painted furniture, storage ideas, reupholster, Draw your grid and mark where the buttons go
Draw your grid and mark where the buttons go.
Then I cut a piece of 3" foam to the size of the lid. I used the sharpie to re-draw the same grid on the foam, then used a drill with a 1" paddle bit to drill out the holes for the buttons. I used a super-sharp paring knife to taper the edges of each hole, which made it easier to work with the stiff vinyl I was planning to use.
the hardest button to button a diy tufted storage ottoman, painted furniture, storage ideas, reupholster, Cut out the holes for the buttons
Cut out the holes for the buttons.
The whole thing got covered with 2 layers of batting. I used a scissors to cut out the extra batting over the button holes.
the hardest button to button a diy tufted storage ottoman, painted furniture, storage ideas, reupholster, Cover it with batting and cut out the excess
Cover it with batting and cut out the excess.
This next part was the part I screwed up. Repeatedly. You have to do some careful calculations to figure out how to re-draw your grid on your fabric, including allowances for where the fabric will get pulled down into the holes. I'm can't tell you how I did it, because I did it wrong so many times that I don't really remember how I finally arrived at the right numbers. (Although here's a blog post about the whole experience, if you'd like to try to draw your own conclusions: http://www.sarahsbigidea.com/2015/02/the-hardest-button-to-button/).
Anyway, once you've got your math done correctly, draw your new grid on the back of your fabric.
the hardest button to button a diy tufted storage ottoman, painted furniture, storage ideas, reupholster, Draw your new grid on the back of the fabric
Draw your new grid on the back of the fabric.
And here's where I kinda went off the beaten path. Instead of actually threading buttons all the way through and messing around with all that crap, I used screws with washers (and those tiny pilot holes I drilled earlier) to pull the fabric down into the foam.
the hardest button to button a diy tufted storage ottoman, painted furniture, storage ideas, reupholster, Use screws to secure the fabric in the holes
Use screws to secure the fabric in the holes.
I started with the hole closest to the middle and worked my way out to the edges. Along the way, I used the flat handle of a butter knife to force the fabric into those perfect diamond-shaped folds.
the hardest button to button a diy tufted storage ottoman, painted furniture, storage ideas, reupholster, Work out to the edges and secure with staples
Work out to the edges and secure with staples
After securing all the edges with staples, it was time to put the buttons back in "button tufting." I used fabric glue to attach the buttons to the tops of the screws.
the hardest button to button a diy tufted storage ottoman, painted furniture, storage ideas, reupholster, Glue buttons on top of the screws
Glue buttons on top of the screws.
After that, I just had to reattach the lid and hardware to the chest, and take a bunch of pretty pictures. I think even a trained upholsterer would have to look pretty close to discover that I short-cutted the whole button-tufting process.
the hardest button to button a diy tufted storage ottoman, painted furniture, storage ideas, reupholster, DIY diamond tufted storage ottoman
DIY diamond-tufted storage ottoman.
DIY tufted storage ottoman.
For the whole story and a lot more details about this process, check out this blog post: http://www.sarahsbigidea.com/2015/02/the-hardest-button-to-button/. And let me know if you decide to try this one yourself!
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of September 01, 2018 11:24 PM - More info
Sarah's Big Idea

• Brenda strickland

Very pretty, but would buy one before taking the time to do this. Great job.

• Linda

I'm so glad you shared this. I bought a set of outdoor furniture and some of the seats needed re-buttoned. I was thinking of taking it to an upholsterer but I might try doing it your way. Your piece is simply beautiful by the way.