Sarah's Big Idea
Sarah's Big Idea
  • Minneapolis, MN

The Hardest Button to Button: A DIY Tufted Storage Ottoman.

$50

During my recent music room makeover, I found myself looking for ways to incorporate some extra seating. My sights settled on an old cedar-lined storage chest, which was the right height for seating but didn't present the most inviting surface. I considered simply upholstering it, but one day while listening to The White Stripes' song "The Hardest Button to Button," I thought, why just wrap the lid in

Draw your grid and mark where the buttons go.

Then I cut a piece of 3" foam to the size of the lid. I used the sharpie to re-draw the same grid on the foam, then used a drill with a 1" paddle bit to drill out the holes for the buttons. I used a super-sharp paring knife to taper the edges of each hole, which made it easier to work with the stiff vinyl I was planning to use.

Cut out the holes for the buttons.
Cut out the holes for the buttons.

The whole thing got covered with 2 layers of batting. I used a scissors to cut out the extra batting over the button holes.

Cover it with batting and cut out the excess.

This next part was the part I screwed up. Repeatedly. You have to do some careful calculations to figure out how to re-draw your grid on your fabric, including allowances for where the fabric will get pulled down into the holes. I'm can't tell you how I did it, because I did it wrong so many times that I don't really remember how I finally arrived at the right numbers. (Although here's a blog post about the whole experience, if you'd like to try to draw your own conclusions: http://www.sarahsbigidea.com/2015/02/the-hardest-button-to-button/). Anyway, once you've got your math done correctly, draw your new grid on the back of your fabric.

Draw your new grid on the back of the fabric.

And here's where I kinda went off the beaten path. Instead of actually threading buttons all the way through and messing around with all that crap, I used screws with washers (and those tiny pilot holes I drilled earlier) to pull the fabric down into the foam.

Use screws to secure the fabric in the holes.

I started with the hole closest to the middle and worked my way out to the edges. Along the way, I used the flat handle of a butter knife to force the fabric into those perfect diamond-shaped folds.

Work out to the edges and secure with staples

After securing all the edges with staples, it was time to put the buttons back in "button tufting." I used fabric glue to attach the buttons to the tops of the screws.

Glue buttons on top of the screws.
Glue buttons on top of the screws.

After that, I just had to reattach the lid and hardware to the chest, and take a bunch of pretty pictures. I think even a trained upholsterer would have to look pretty close to discover that I short-cutted the whole button-tufting process.

DIY tufted storage ottoman.
DIY tufted storage ottoman.

I started by removing the lid and all the hardware, then drew out my grid with a sharpie. I drilled tiny pilot holes at the intersections where the buttons would go.

DIY diamond-tufted storage ottoman.
DIY diamond-tufted storage ottoman.
DIY tufted storage ottoman.
DIY tufted storage ottoman.

For the whole story and a lot more details about this process, check out this blog post: http://www.sarahsbigidea.com/2015/02/the-hardest-button-to-button/. And let me know if you decide to try this one yourself!

Sarah's Big Idea

• Denise

Why couldn't you put the vinyl on and then put the screws in it

• Olive harte

how much material for top 4ftx 2ft and a piece for the back ? please alva35@eircom.net

• Kirsten

As the original part of your DIY is using screws (or nuts and bolts?) and a washer, would you please update with images of that part?