Cleaning Silver

My New Year's clean sweep as usual turned into a week long project where I get in the weeds trying to organize the house for a fresh start. Cleaning up after the holiday parties turned into a complete reorg of every serving piece in the house. I decided to give a try to an idea I'd seen on Pinterest for cleaning silver. I collect yard sale silver plated serving pieces so I was looking for a quick way to shine them up. I lined the sink with foil, added some generous scoops of salt and baking soda and filled the sink with scalding hot water. The chemical reaction resulting from the aluminum, salt and soda removed the tarnish! It actually worked! Lesson learned. Dip the entire piece at once or you'll get a line of demarcation on your piece. I also kept adding hot water and more ingredients because the hotter the water, the quicker it works. Remove the pieces from the solution and buff the remaining spots off with a cotton cloth.
cleaning silver, cleaning tips, Prepping the sink
Prepping the sink
cleaning silver, cleaning tips, The ingredients
The ingredients
cleaning silver, cleaning tips, Before
Before
cleaning silver, cleaning tips, Test run
Test run
cleaning silver, cleaning tips, Before
Before
cleaning silver, cleaning tips, After
After
cleaning silver, cleaning tips, You can see the lip where it wasn t submerged fully 5 min for the piece but another 15 to get this to come off
You can see the lip where it wasn't submerged fully. 5 min for the piece, but another 15 to get this to come off.
cleaning silver, cleaning tips, I went a little overboard
I went a little overboard
cleaning silver, cleaning tips, After
After
cleaning silver, cleaning tips, The tarnish transferred to the foil
The tarnish transferred to the foil
Danielle B

Questions on this post

Your question...
3 of 34 questions

Comments

2 of 85 comments
Next