Danielle B
Danielle B
  • Middletown, RI

Cleaning Silver

My New Year's clean sweep as usual turned into a week long project where I get in the weeds trying to organize the house for a fresh start. Cleaning up after the holiday parties turned into a complete reorg of every serving piece in the house. I decided to give a try to an idea I'd seen on Pinterest for cleaning silver. I collect yard sale silver plated serving pieces so I was looking for a quick way to shine them up. I lined the sink with foil, added some generous scoops of salt and baking soda and filled the sink with scalding hot water. The chemical reaction resulting from the aluminum, salt and soda removed the tarnish! It actually worked! Lesson learned. Dip the entire piece at once or you'll get a line of demarcation on your piece. I also kept adding hot water and more ingredients because the hotter the water, the quicker it works. Remove the pieces from the solution and buff the remaining spots off with a cotton cloth.
Prepping the sink
Prepping the sink
The ingredients
The ingredients
Before
Before
Test run
Test run
Before
Before
After
After
You can see the lip where it wasn't submerged fully. 5 min for the piece, but another 15 to get this to come off.
I went a little overboard
I went a little overboard
cleaning silver, cleaning tips
After
After
The tarnish transferred to the foil
The tarnish transferred to the foil
Danielle B

• Dianne

Will lining the sink with foil and doing the same process as with the silver item work the same on silver coins? They are not rare etc. thanks

• Karen Campbell

Will this also work on silver jewelry (specifically necklaces) ?

• Lee

What are the ingridients? I see baking soda what is the other one?

• Maureen

How much baking soda and salt?

• CONSTANCE PRESCOTT`

Where do you get aluminum foil "that wide" to make the sink hold water?

• Barb

heavy duty foil is wider than standard sizeAdd an answer...

• CONSTANCE PRESCOTT`

Where can you get silver paper/aluminum foil "wide enough for a sink" so that it will HOLD the fluid/etc/water????

• CONSTANCE PRESCOTT`

Figured it out - DA - you stop up the sink and just "cover" sides and bottom. There is no "solid piece"..

• JamieLynne Honley

I also use the alum foil in the long box extra strength.

• Carol martin99019

Just layer it in the sink, or use a foil pan.

• Linda

I've also used a bowl and done silver jewelry with 1 tsp each soda and salt. Safe for pearls and soft precious stones like Opal answer peridot.

• Roc4968683

How much of the soda and salt do you use?

• Teri

Just ask on Google , if I'm not mistaken Martha Stewart has a recipe for this method.

• Carol martin99019

I just throw in a hand full for a small load for awhile sink I use one half of a small box.

• Phyllis H

Would an aluminum pan from the dollar store work?

• Barbara Clark Sims

Would this work for silver plated items?

• Sha9597750

Is it hard on your silver?

• Til8970532

Are you asking about pure silver or silver plated as demonstrated?

• Carol martin99019

This makes a simple cell battery, it pulls the tarnish off. It does not hurt the silver. However if you like the dark decorations as relief on your silver, kiss that goodbye, as it pulls all tarnish out.

• Carol martin99019

Any foil works

• Shawna Bailey

It isn't hard on the silver if you don't use the salt. it's not necessary and will slowly eat your silver. the rest of the chemical reaction actually restores the silver

• Wan7077334

What are the measurements of the salt and baking soda for cleaning silver. Thanks .

• Karen H.

Does this work on brass as well?

• Sharyn Winick

what is generous amount? 1 cup of both 2 c?

• Pam Lewandowski

Does this work for jewelry?

• Shawna Bailey

Yes, but careful not to use it on any soft stones like turquoise or pearls. they will get ruined

• Shawna Bailey

don't use salt. it will actually slowly corrode the silver and make pits in it.

• Lma6872166

Beside Brasso what is good for cleaning brass ornaments?

• Greg Norris

Where are the instructions? Do you just dump the salt and soda in the water? How much of each?

• Kelly Lofing

She said she started with generous scoops of salt and baking soda then added the hot water. Not an exact science. She also said she added more of everything as she went along.

• Teena Newport

does it have to be sterling or does this work on silver plated items also?

• Tri12531505

Why line the sink? I think you have porcelain...but I have stainless. Is it necessary?

• Claudia Freiman

Aluminum is the metal that causes the chemical reaction. You can use an aluminum roasting pan as well for smaller items.

• Frankie

The reaction is with the aluminum, salt and baking soda. Tarnish transfers to the aluminum.

• Morgan

Yes it is necessary. You need all the correct ingredients to get the tarnish removing chemical reaction. Take one ingredient away, or substitute something else, and all you end up with are wasted materials aka "a nothingburger"

• Sandy

You can use coke for the same effect.
    • Karen Elizabeth Miller

I learned the hard way when I decided to "de-tarnish" my silverware in a pot on the stove, skipping the foil and using just the salt and soda and water. The tarnish transferred to the the pot destroying the shiny interior. BIG mistake. Lesson learned!
  • Seems like a great idea. How much of each do I use? I have my grandmothers and mothers silver. Some of it is well over 100 years old.
  • Jan Jungjohann

How much of each ingredient?
  • Hel14836316

What are the amounts for jewelry cleaning?
  • Vicki

I have a stainless steel sink. Will this method work with aluminum inside stainless steel sink?
  • Valerie Shelton

I would love to try this project. I have a silver teapot that is almost black. What are the measurements of the ingredients?
  • Mrs14282620

I did not get second ingredient and is water cold or hot length of time
  • Lry25551634

What are the proportions of salt and baking soda? Would afoul pan work just as well as foil lined pan?
  • L Conner

How much salt and soda do you use for a sinkful of water?
    • Becky

Try 1 to 1. 1 cup of salt and 1 cup of soda. If you nee more add but keep it 1 to 1,
  • Betty Mott

What proportions did you use?
  • Gerry

Would this "pit" sterling silver??
  • Helen Walsh

I'll certainly give it a go but I must know the proportions of the ingredients, first. Can you please give them to me? Thank you.

• Elaine Lee

So just baking soda and salt in a foil lined sink?? I will definitely be cleaning my silverware

very soon. Thank you so much!!

• Henriette Hall

Next time you are at an Antique Show ask a seasoned dealer about this procedure--it doesn't pit--it does remove silver--little by little. If your silver has remarque ( black etching usually seen on utensils--do not do this--it will remove every bit and leave it shining like the foil.

• Henriette Hall

Drying silver items is a good point folks need to know--additionally, storing in zip-top bags/plastic not a good idea.

I am older and come from the Polish era of doing the Silver LOL... Ex. Wrights Silver Cream and the French Rouge.

Keep it clean, dry, leave no salt or acids, and it will be enjoyed for many many years.

• Sandra

I don't have a question, rather another solution for cleaning silver. I use Ketchup, just rub it on, let sit for 15 minutes and it's good as new!