For Big Kids Only

1 Week

My second baby changing upcycle. The first was for a school auction donation. My husband liked the idea so much me put a request in for another for our home.
$5 changing table from a thrift store.
Slats removed as well as the front drawer. We felt this took the baby furniture look away.
My husband wanted a tile top so we bought 2 1/2 pound jugs (4) from Michaels and hand picked each piece making sure there were no cracks, chips and scratches. These are the colors my husband chose for his cart.
Each piece was carefully glued and spaced apart. No lies here. This took me three days between work and family activities.
Supplies for tile top bar cart.
Grout on and curing. This was a messy job and it took many rounds of cleaning to get the hazy dull finish off the beautiful shiny tiles.
Grout cured and sealed. I love these tiles because depending on the lighting and angles these tiles change color from the iridescent glass effects.
Tile top.
My husband picked Stained Glass Blue from Lowes Valspar series. I like to make my own chalk paint and their sample sizes work out great for these small projects. I used Polycrylic as my top coat. I love using wax finishes on top of chalk paint but for this type of project the Polycrylic is much more durable.
I added industrial pipes and floor flanges as my towel holders on each end of the cart. I spray painted them a hammered pewter.
Handmade wine glass holders across the top shelf. And added a beer bottle opener to the front.
Found this cute scroll wine rack for $2 at a thrift store and thought it was perfect. I spray painted it to match the towel racks and bottle opener. We are not big wine drinkers so this rack holds just the right selection if guests prefer a glass of wine. Also added an additional support system along the base so wheels could be added since the legs were very thin.

• Cheryl Hunt Lepsch

How did you make the wine glass holder it's hard to see what's holding them?

• Mindi

Sorry for taking so long. We have been busy with snow removal from a 30" snow storm. First you need to reinforce the top shelf of the cart with 1x6's or various widths you desire by screwing the boards underneath the top shelf with pocket screws. I use a kreg jig. Love it! Next I took 1/2" square dowels and 2 1/2 width thin craft wood found at either Home Depot or Lowes, I cut them to length needed then glued the dowels to the center of craft wood pieces. Once dried, I drilled holes on each end through the middle of the square dowel. I highly recommend this as the wood may split if you just try to screw the holders on with out them. Paint to the color needed. Next I spaced the holders approximately 4 inches apart from dowel to dowel and screwed them to the wood base. You can adjust this width depending on the size of your wine glasses and their bases. I just finished my third cart. Hopefully this picture shows you what I am trying to explain.