January Maintenance Checklist

$40-150
1-2 Hour

So, did keeping up with your houses maintenance make your list? Back in 2009 when we first started the HTRC, we created a Monthly Maintenance checklist, to help break down the needed chores into more manageable portions taking into account Holidays, Vacations, and ones overall busy schedules - so with no further ado, here is January's...

The walk about – Grab a screwdriver, a vacuum cleaner with attachments, a rag and a notepad.Make a note of any area's that might need to be watched, or repaired like missing or cracked electrical plates, missing or cracked caulking around the tubs, etc...Tighten up those loose screws on your cabinet drawer pulls, doors and doorknobs. Make sure all the locks and hinges are working smoothly – if not add graphite or an appropriate oilTake care of the items pictured below or make the appropriate notes of items required. Time to go shopping - grab that list from your notepad, write down which size AC Filters you have, and how many Carbon Monoxide (CO) and smoke detectors you have, how many bulbs need to be replaced, etc... & head to your local home store, grab this year supply of HVAC filters, batteries & everything else needed to knock this list out

For more info on why we choose January & July for replacing batteries, January's Garden & Grounds checklist, and other tips (like decluttering & taking down those XMas lights) we invite you to check out the full article: http://blog.sls-construction.com/2009/january-winter-maintenance-checklist

Change out your HVAC filter - as for every month or 250 hours - that depends on how dusty your house is, use & amount of pets - for most it is easier to remember once a month
Vacuum or wipe off your vent covers, under the refrigerator, the refrigerator coils, lightbulbs, the ceiling fan housing and blades.
Check you're fire extinguisher charge - if it is in the caution or dead area, mark it down for replacement & if you don't have one, well put it on the list
Time to vacuum the exterior of the smoke & CO detectors, change the battery, and replace the unit if older than 5 years or per manufacturers replace date.

• Lou Ann Newell

Great tips! We do replace our filters every month and sometimes twice a month due to animals. It is good to know that we do not need the more expensive filters although the cheaper ones are getting harder to find. I did not know that you need to replace fire alarms though so that is on my list to pick up some new ones. Ours are way older!!

• Z

Great idea. Hubby's pretty good about taking care of the furnace filters, but I like the idea of my going around with a screw driver in hand (though I keep one with changeable heads in almost every room of the house) to tighten knobs and such. Our house is all electric so no worries about carbon monoxide. I can write notes on my phone because there's a very rare chance I'd forget to take that with me when I go shopping. Thanks!