Heidi
Heidi
  • Sioux Falls, SD

Window Box Planters

After we finished building our backyard workshop, the exterior felt like it was lacking charm. We built some simple flower boxes for only $15 each!
window box planters, container gardening, flowers, gardening, how to, outdoor living, woodworking projects
Our workshop sits in our backyard, so we wanted it to be as visually appealing as possible. Building and installing flower boxes under the windows added just the right amount of color and contrast.
We cut 1x4's to length for the front and sides. Be sure to sand the square edges off of the 1x4's to break the edge and highlight the horizontal planks.
We screwed the horizontal planks to 2x4 support blocks.
Another piece of wood was added to the bottom and then to the back of the flower box. Drill a few holes in the bottom of each box for drainage.
We added some extra pieces of trim around the tops and bottoms to add additional interest to the boxes.
On the front of our house, we have white painted flower boxes, which I love, but usually have to touch up the paint each spring. So to change things up and try something new, I stained the boxes with an American Walnut stain and then brushed 3 coats of spar varnish over each box to protect them from the elements, including the insides.
We used these L brackets to attach the boxes to the workshop. In this photo, we started with two brackets but later added a third for additional support.
We mounted the boxes a little lower than the window sill so the windows can still be opened up for fresh air.
We built these flower boxes almost a year ago and they still look just as good as the day we built them.
Before adding potting soil and plants, I lined each box with a piece of landscape fabric to help protect the inside of the flower box from moisture.
For more projects like this, follow us on our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kruses-Workshop/544083725671242
Heidi

• Ang32859170

My husband and I are arguing about the material size. The pictures look like 2x4’s and 4x4’s that you screwed to instead of 1x4’s and 2x4’s as it says in the description. Can you clarify?

• Debbie Paul Child

My husband said the same thing and if you look at it from the end view I believe they are right. I think its just plywood for the back and bottom. But then again if you look at the one side view where they screwed the boards into it looks like. 1x 4 and 2x4. I believe it would be just what u want to use and what u have on hand as well as how heavy u want it to be.

• Ft.29298732

Did you make the shutters too? It’s gorgeous and I am aiming for the same look for my new shed. I want it unique but pretty and it will be my play shop on wonderful Fall days or evenings if I want to build a bird house or work on something. Thanks! Great job is an understatement. I used to have that kind of energy many moons ago!;)

• Ft.29298732

• Mary Boger

Your workshop is cute as the dickens. The window boxes are a great addition. tfs!

• Beth

This is the cutest workshop ever! It will be my inspiration for when I (hopefully) get one of my own! May I make a suggestion? Your white doors look forgotten -- why not stain them, too, to tie in with the flower boxes?