Window Box Planters

After we finished building our backyard workshop, the exterior felt like it was lacking charm. We built some simple flower boxes for only $15 each!
Our workshop sits in our backyard, so we wanted it to be as visually appealing as possible. Building and installing flower boxes under the windows added just the right amount of color and contrast.
We cut 1x4's to length for the front and sides. Be sure to sand the square edges off of the 1x4's to break the edge and highlight the horizontal planks.
We screwed the horizontal planks to 2x4 support blocks.
Another piece of wood was added to the bottom and then to the back of the flower box. Drill a few holes in the bottom of each box for drainage.
We added some extra pieces of trim around the tops and bottoms to add additional interest to the boxes.
On the front of our house, we have white painted flower boxes, which I love, but usually have to touch up the paint each spring. So to change things up and try something new, I stained the boxes with an American Walnut stain and then brushed 3 coats of spar varnish over each box to protect them from the elements, including the insides.
We used these L brackets to attach the boxes to the workshop. In this photo, we started with two brackets but later added a third for additional support.
We mounted the boxes a little lower than the window sill so the windows can still be opened up for fresh air.
We built these flower boxes almost a year ago and they still look just as good as the day we built them.
Before adding potting soil and plants, I lined each box with a piece of landscape fabric to help protect the inside of the flower box from moisture.
For more projects like this, follow us on our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kruses-Workshop/544083725671242

These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning
31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
Make Your Home a Winter Wonderland With These Stunning Ideas
32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
12 Christmas Home Tours You're SO Going To Fall For
Spruce Up Your Plain Lamp With One Of These Great Ideas
15 Simple Projects Under 30 Min To Get You Ready For The Spring Season
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY
Jazz Up Your Bathroom With These 30 Stylish Additions
Heidi

• Ang32859170

My husband and I are arguing about the material size. The pictures look like 2x4’s and 4x4’s that you screwed to instead of 1x4’s and 2x4’s as it says in the description. Can you clarify?

• Tony

I would say 1x2" for the length and sides + 2x2" for support

• Ft.29298732

Did you make the shutters too? It’s gorgeous and I am aiming for the same look for my new shed. I want it unique but pretty and it will be my play shop on wonderful Fall days or evenings if I want to build a bird house or work on something. Thanks! Great job is an understatement. I used to have that kind of energy many moons ago!;)

• Ft.29298732

• Claire M Collins

Just beautiful! The boxes add so much charm. Great job!

• Gabrielle Falk

They look great. Any building that has a cottagy appearance, absolutely begs for window boxes and shutters. I love what you have done.