Revamping an outdated brick fireplace... without destruction!

$10
Advanced

I had a very outdated standard schmandard brick fireplace. When my house was about to get renovated, my artist friend Dan from http://imaginationcorporation.com stepped in to create a one of a kind old world fireplace with cultured stone, hand carved concrete, a whimsical mantel and stainless steel accents. WITHOUT any destruction!

Here's how he did it:

revamping an outdated brick fireplace without destruction, concrete masonry, fireplaces mantels, home decor, This floor to ceiling fireplace was created with only additions and creativity No hammer needed

This floor to ceiling fireplace was created with only additions and creativity. No hammer needed!

revamping an outdated brick fireplace without destruction, concrete masonry, fireplaces mantels, home decor, A typical unassuming brick fireplace with a tiny mantel was in need of a new look

A typical unassuming brick fireplace with a tiny mantel was in need of a new look.

revamping an outdated brick fireplace without destruction, concrete masonry, fireplaces mantels, home decor, Dan hand carved and tooled a faux mantel out of precision board

Dan hand carved and tooled a faux mantel out of precision board.

revamping an outdated brick fireplace without destruction, concrete masonry, fireplaces mantels, home decor, Beckie and I added layers of paint and glaze to achieve the wood appearance

Beckie and I added layers of paint and glaze to achieve the wood appearance.

revamping an outdated brick fireplace without destruction, concrete masonry, fireplaces mantels, home decor, Dan and Phoenix applied the stone and added stainless steel one of a kind features over TOP of all the existing brickwork

Dan and Phoenix applied cultured stone and added stainless steel corbels to fit over top of the brick ones, and a removable frame around the fireplace in case we'd like to change the wood burning out to a gas one day.

revamping an outdated brick fireplace without destruction, concrete masonry, fireplaces mantels, home decor, Phoenix from hand carved the base out of a solid piece of fibreglass reinforced concrete and is shown here staining it to resemble the cultured stone

Phoenix from http://www.stonetreestudios.com hand carved the base out of a solid piece of fibreglass reinforced concrete and then stained it to resemble the cultured stone. You can't even tell them apart!

revamping an outdated brick fireplace without destruction, concrete masonry, fireplaces mantels, home decor, The end result is a cozy large scale rock fireplace that s a little funky a little old world and a whole lotta fun to decorate

The end result is a cozy, large scale rock fireplace that's a little funky, a little old world, and a whole lotta fun to decorate!

I don't know how much this project cost because it was gifted to me.

However you can read the rest of the how-to by clicking to the original blog post HERE

• Cultured stone  (hardware store)
  • Fibreglass reinforced concrete
  • Precision board for the mantel
Funky Junk Interiors - Donna

• Joanie

Love the ENTIRE look of the fireplace!! Beautiful job of creativity. I love the star, BUT....... Go Steelers!
  • Linda Dugas

Wow, you did an amazing job !!!