Need Help Closing Off Fireplace

+16
I find myself in a chilly situation. I discovered this morning that the fireplace damper in the basement fireplace is pretty much rusted beyond repair. The cold 10 degree air has been rushing through the damper hole into the basement and eventually to the upstairs kitchen, etc. Eventually, we heat the air and waste a ton of energy/heat. I need your help/advice on how to effectively seal this fireplace area to prevent as much cold air as possible from entering that space. I have closed the damper to cover the hole to the best of my ability but there is still a good amount of air seeping in around the edges. The only thing I can think of is to stuff the space with some sort of insulation or a giant blanket and then seal off the hole by screwing a piece of plywood over it until one day, we have the funds to fix the darn thing.
q need help closing off fireplace, fireplaces mantels, home maintenance repairs, how to, For now I ve placed a blanket behind the crappy glass fireplace cover but air is getting in on the bottom corners and such
For now, I've placed a blanket behind the crappy glass fireplace cover but air is getting in on the bottom corners and such.