Magic Potion ~ White Ring Remover

I got this amazing little vanity for whopping $20 at a local thrift store (happy dance) I know some people think this could be gorgeous painted but I’m all about making this little beauty shine the way it was meant to! I thought the top would probably need to be refinished because of the water marks/white rings but I’m in Wisconsin so I wouldn’t be able to start that project until spring and well I’m not that patient!
There are all sorts of over the counter products & online white ring fixes so I figured I had nothing to lose might as well see if I could come up with something that worked ~
My magic potion was simple & cheap just a paste made with olive oil and regular table salt ~ I read somewhere that the salt will pull out the moisture and the oil will replenish the wood ~
I applied the mixture to the damaged areas and rings, rubbed it in a little and then just let it do its thing ~ I let it sit for about an hour and then wiped it off and buffed the entire top ~
It looked like this right after I was done ~ the white rings were now brown it looked better then when I started but I still would probably end up stripping and refinishing…no big deal after all this was just an experiment!
I took another look a couple weeks later and this is what I saw…the brown rings had lightened so they are almost undetectable! Magic!
I’m excited to get started on the rest of it ~ fingers crossed it’s going to look amazing when I’m done!

To see more: https://www.facebook.com/dianasdiyden

• Deepti Sharma

Will it also remove the essential oil stains from the wood? Accidentally dropped essential oil on top of the dresser and it went unnoticed for couple of months. When I was cleaning the top I found that the cover that I put on the top was stuck to it. I had remove it forcefully which resulted in taking off the polish and staining it. Can you please suggest how to clean it without damaging it more.

• Deepti Sharma

• FERN VITENSE

Essential oil will remove the finish on wood, painted or stained and varnished. Will need to sand area and refinish.

• Marty Phelps

Love what you have done. Beautiful job. Just one question: in the first step you showed salt and Bertolli olive oil. At the end you showed amazon olive oil. which???

• Christine Cajigas

This is fabulous. Thank you so much. I have a 118 yr old beautiful piano I need to remove a water ring from.❤

• Gail

You may be a perfectionist but I think it looks great. Glad you waited and did not go ahead and strip it.

• It doesn't matter which brand of olive oil you use, it's all olive oil.