Chalkboard Paint Oversized Wall Calendar

I've been slowly and methodically moving my Etsy shop business down to the area of the basement that is finished. And to keep track of when orders come in .... and when they need to be shipped out, I decided to create and oversized calendar on the wall. With chalkboard paint ...
Here's a close-up of the after ...
I started with a blank slate and used a level to draw lines (with chalk) on the wall.
Next came the painter's tape. Though, I did try to measure out the length and width based on each day of the week box size first.
But I needed to be flexible and had to move the lines a bit to the left and a bit to the north once I started the process of measuring out the day of the week. Honestly, I do struggle with the math and didn't accurately allow for the size of the painter's tape.
Once it was all mapped out, it was time to paint. Though, I did employ trick to keep those lines nice and sharp. Which I'll tease you with here, but you can find all the details on my blog post. You'll have to click through the link below. :)
I gave it two coats of black chalkboard paint.
And, with baited breath, peeled off the painter's tape. Turns out my little trick worked!
After allowing it to dry for 3 days, I cured the chalkboard by rubbing it with chalk on it's side. And then erasing. If you don't do this, whatever you right in those uncured boxes will always been seen. Even after after erasing.
I used stick-on stencils to create the days of the week. To tell the truth, I'll be handwriting them in for the rest of the year! :)
I finished it off by spray painting wooden letters from the craft store gold.
And attached them to the wall with Command strips.

32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
Here's How You Can DIY The Hottest Home Decor Trends of 2018
These Stunning Seating Ideas Will Blow You Away
16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
Do You Want to Update Your Antique Furniture?
Get The Outdoor Space You've Always Dreamed Of With These DIY Ideas
Linda @ it all started with paint

• Barb in Texas

I like this idea, I do. But I don't have a question, I just want to point out the nifty optical illusion if you stare at the picture of the plain squares right over the comment "With Bated Breath". Notice those little intersections of white lines turn black, until you look directly at 'em? I wonder if that happens in real life.
  • Brent

What do you do for a 31 day month that starts on a Saturday?
  • Sjt29229935

Love the idea. However, my son painted an entire wall in their basement for the kids to do homework problems and keep game scores. It is terrific, but when they erase the chalk, all the residue and dust falls to the floor making a mess. My daughter-in-law when to the chalk pens, but they are a pain to remove. Any suggestions on how to keep the chalk dust contained?
    • KimH

Oh, and this has inspired me to make one for us as well...will post pics of that process