Chalkboard Paint Oversized Wall Calendar

I've been slowly and methodically moving my Etsy shop business down to the area of the basement that is finished. And to keep track of when orders come in .... and when they need to be shipped out, I decided to create and oversized calendar on the wall. With chalkboard paint ...
Here's a close-up of the after ...
I started with a blank slate and used a level to draw lines (with chalk) on the wall.
Next came the painter's tape. Though, I did try to measure out the length and width based on each day of the week box size first.
But I needed to be flexible and had to move the lines a bit to the left and a bit to the north once I started the process of measuring out the day of the week. Honestly, I do struggle with the math and didn't accurately allow for the size of the painter's tape.
Once it was all mapped out, it was time to paint. Though, I did employ trick to keep those lines nice and sharp. Which I'll tease you with here, but you can find all the details on my blog post. You'll have to click through the link below. :)
I gave it two coats of black chalkboard paint.
And, with baited breath, peeled off the painter's tape. Turns out my little trick worked!
After allowing it to dry for 3 days, I cured the chalkboard by rubbing it with chalk on it's side. And then erasing. If you don't do this, whatever you right in those uncured boxes will always been seen. Even after after erasing.
I used stick-on stencils to create the days of the week. To tell the truth, I'll be handwriting them in for the rest of the year! :)
I finished it off by spray painting wooden letters from the craft store gold.
And attached them to the wall with Command strips.

15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
3 Great Projects To Flip Your Cookie Sheet Pans
21 Small Things You Can Do to Beautify Your Home This Weekend
3 Wonderful Ways You Can Upcycle Old Windows
Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great
Try These Gorgeous Ideas And The Mailman Will Never Miss Your Mailbox!
25 Impressive Ways You Can Update Your Ikea Purchases!
3 Easy Ways to Make The Cutest Coasters for Your House
3 Absolutely Adorable Ways To Display Your Plants
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
The Best Nautical Home Decor Ideas To Try Right Now
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
Linda @ it all started with paint

• Barb in Texas

I like this idea, I do. But I don't have a question, I just want to point out the nifty optical illusion if you stare at the picture of the plain squares right over the comment "With Bated Breath". Notice those little intersections of white lines turn black, until you look directly at 'em? I wonder if that happens in real life.
  • Brent

What do you do for a 31 day month that starts on a Saturday?
  • Sjt29229935

Love the idea. However, my son painted an entire wall in their basement for the kids to do homework problems and keep game scores. It is terrific, but when they erase the chalk, all the residue and dust falls to the floor making a mess. My daughter-in-law when to the chalk pens, but they are a pain to remove. Any suggestions on how to keep the chalk dust contained?
    • KimH

Oh, and this has inspired me to make one for us as well...will post pics of that process