Pantry Organizer From a Ziplock Box

3.25M Views
As part of a monthly craft challenge I co-host with several other bloggers, I needed to come up with a new use for an old box.
Time: 10 MinutesDifficulty: Easy
  • pantry organizer from a ziplock box, closet, organizing, repurposing upcycling, storage ideas
We use a lot of McCormicks brand seasoning packets. I usually mix the packets following the directions on the back of the package in a ziplock bag and add in my beef or chicken before tossing it all in the freezer. This way the meat marinates as it thaws and is much more flavorful than if you just marinate before cooking.
My problem has been storing these packets. I usually stack them together and stand them up using boxes or cans as sort of book ends. Since I needed a box craft for February's craft challenge, I decided to use a ziplock bag box, which is the perfect size, to create a container to hold all of my seasoning packets.
I started with an empty ziplock box and cut the top completely off.
I used this awesome contact paper I found at Lowe's and started by covering just the cut edges of the box.
Then I wrapped the contact paper around all four sides of the box, leaving extra contact paper to be wrapped onto the bottom.
I cut the contact paper up to the corners of the bottom of the box to allow the contact paper to lay flat against the bottom.
And now I don't have to worry about the packets falling over or out of the cabinet when I remove something else.
Visit my blog, Our Secondhand House, for more awesome projects.

Suggested materials for this project:

Ask a Question
      • I also use the big plastic cat food containers, the ones with a handle. I have used them for noodles, beans, rice, sugar, macaroni, anything dry. It also let you see what is in them and how much there is in the container. OH of course I wash with Dawn And let dry.
      • All these are good ideas! Thanks all!
        Norma YNorma Y Milwaukee, WI · answered Aug 21, 2016
      • I use the cat treat containers and my cat loves the treats
      • I got mine at Dollar Tree.
      • Either containers from dog treats, or minced garlic purchased at Sam's Club.
        CharleneCharlene Dunedin, FL · answered Aug 21, 2016
      • I get mine at Boscovs. Watch for their sales and you can save a lot of money there.
      • Are they BPA free?
      • I use my recycled peanut containers for flour, sugar etc.
      • I like what you did I was thinking on trying that in my cabinets of very little storage do you think it would work?
      • I bought 2 different sizes. Smaller ones at Dollar Tree. Medium size at Wal-Mart for $1.97 ea. I use them in my RV. I made labels stating what was in the jar. I added a picture that went with what was inside also. I get a lot of comments about my "canisters". They are easy to grip with the built in "handles". I have some that had dry food in them that I use for my ribbons, stamps, etc for paper crafts.
      • How about adding cooking instructions to the label??
      • I have cut off the cooking instructions and either put it in the jar or taped it to the back if it's something I'm not familiar with. I have also cut out the name of the product and taped it to the front or the top depending on how I'm storing them. Dollar Tree has these for $1 empty, but they also have them for $1 with things in them. I love the little Ritz like crackers that comes in the size that's a little smaller than shown. Might as well enjoy the contents and than have the contained for $1 instead of paying $1 for an empty container. My grands love Ovaltine Drink Mix. Cut the plastic paper off and it's a good little storage jar. My husband loves them for nails, screws etc. Same thing with Jiff Peanut Butter jars.
        BrendaBrenda Benton, AR · answered Sep 18, 2016
      • For larger containers or smaller and easier handling I reuse Coffee Mate bottles, peel the labels. Also a clear bottle which is awesome for macaroni and different pastas is Starbucks Coffee Iced Latte I also just recently used it for candy M&M's pours great and the grandkids like to watch how it comes out.
        PamizPamiz Olympia, WA · answered Sep 18, 2016
      • My pickles come in these jars and depending on the size that constitutes the size of the jar. Jasmine rice comes in the smaller jars.
      • I don't stress over getting the sticky stuff off because that's where I can put a new label!
      • I buy Jasmine rice and these are the containers they come in. They are handy.
      • Couscous came in mine.
      • I got my containers filled , at COST CO, They are great as being square the fit perfectly, Plus mine have red lids. Love 'em
        Lois gLois g Eugene, OR · answered Oct 24, 2016
      • Grapefruit segments
      • These containers work great for storing the dishwasher pods.
      • Great when organizing kids toys. Fill, take a picture of what is inside and afix to the jar. Then when cleaning up the kids know where to put the toys. Starts getting them organized! Teach them something every day
      • Dollar Tree
      • My candy from Costco comes in these containers.
      • I get my containers from a variety of sources. I tape cooking instructions on the lid using index cards or printouts (depending how involved), when needed. This doesn't obstruct my view of the contents.

• Me too
        DianeDiane Canton, MS · answered Dec 16, 2016
      • Me too
      • Me too
      • Ditto
        LindaLinda Saint Helen, MI · answered Jan 11, 2017
      • How to organize a junk drawer.
      • Me Too!
        ZellettaZelletta Petersburg, TX · answered Jan 12, 2017
      • Love it!
      • I like the idea and will use it
      • All great ideas! Thank you!

• catch the grease, then use it to make suet with bird seed and peanutbutter for the birds.
        JudyJudy Rockford, IL · answered Dec 26, 2016
      • use them for repotting plants or growing smaller plants before transplanting
        SelmaSelma San Antonio, TX · answered Dec 30, 2016
      • Nuts, bolts & nails in the garage. In the house, extra flour, sugar, oatmeal, rice- anything affected by dampness.
      • Bird house
      • I save them to use for my yarns when crocheting. Keeps them clean if I am outdoors and keeps them from unraveling
      • Makes a great container to mail goodes for Christmas.
        NancyNancy Davenport, IA · answered Jan 11, 2017
      • I use plastic coffee cans to water my outside container plants.
      • My husband drills holes in the bottom and fills the container with rock salt to spread salt on the sidewalk and driveway when we have ice conditions.
        JstretlienJstretlien Traverse City, MI · answered Jan 12, 2017
      • My husband made a purple martin birdhouse with 8 of them.
      • I PUT MY CHANGE IN THEM AND SAVE IT TO PAY A BILL OR FOR THAT RAIN DAY TO DO ANY THING I WANT TO DO.TAKE AFRIEND TO LUNCH !!!!!
      • I use them to put soups, stews, chili in to place in freezer. You can easily mark the content, date on the solid part of container
      • Fill w/sand and send smokers outside. No need to invest in costly butt stand. When smoker is done, they replace the lid smothering any remaining embers.
      • I use my coffee cans to hold my coffee filters think I'm gonna use my empty one for the grease that's a good tip
        MargaretMargaret Hebron, ND · answered Jan 14, 2017
      • Paint them (use left over, clearance, or the sample sizes) then add the chalk board labels ($ tree). That way you can change the label to whatever you put in it. Can use for anythibf, small toys, office supplies, hair accessories, or in the kitchen.
      • I usually recycle them but I will think before I do to see where I can reuse them for different things.
      • You can fill them 3/4 full of water and freeze, to use in ice chest keeps things colder longer. I use mine to hold grease and peelings in, I put a plastic bag in them when they are full all I have to do is pull the bag out squeeze out air tie them up and toss in trash bag to dispose of!
      • I use them also to store dried food in: beans, pasta, etc.
        LeaLea Olympia, WA · answered Jan 15, 2017
      • I pour off the grease from the pan when I fix bacon. It might seem a bit "chancy" but I've never had the grease melt the container. I've been doing it for quite a while with all the grease from any recipe I'm doing.
      • I use mine for used coffee grounds. And also for flours such as oat flour, wheat flour, etc. Today I used one for sidewalk salt to sprinkle on the ice. I didn't add holes, though.
        DonnaDonna Escanaba, MI · answered Jan 17, 2017
      • All are excellent ideas. I will start using them. So glad I found this site. Thank you!
        ORRIS11ORRIS11 Virginia Beach, VA · answered Jan 17, 2017
      • If you are a artist, they are get for storing brushes, pencils etc with or without the lid on to keep the dust out. Also poke hold in lids for various size brush handles for storage or drying.
        SandySandy Temecula, CA · answered Jan 17, 2017
      • We don't go through coffee as fast as I want after reading all these ideas I never thought about. Guess will have to start saving them.
        LindaLinda Hastings, MN · answered Jan 23, 2017
      • I use one to take my knitting project wherever I go. Thread the yarn through a hole made in the lid and keep the yarn clean till the project is done.
      • They are light weight enough, I keep my pennies in. And now I'm going to use one for my used coffee grounds, and to make ice!
      • For teachers or moms with young kids, - A Matching Game with storage of the pieces -
        Cover the can with kiddie wrapping paper or seasonal type of paper With pictures. Then take a duplicate paper and cut out small pictures, put magnetic tape on the back. Kids can match the pics on the can. Then store the pieces in the can with lid on.

• I put mine in a basket
      • I put all my matching lids on end (like a file cabinet) starting with the smaller ones up front and the larger ones at the rear. I put them in old flat type plastic containers or box to hold them in place
      • I threw all of mine out. After having them get stained,, not feeling that they really got clean, etc., I bought two sets of glass storage containers. One set included 2 sizes of rectangular storage containers. I store the round containers, and their lids in the largest of the two, on a shelf in my pantry
      • These ALL seem like great ideas ... can you add photos to your tips!
      • If you have tin coffee cans you can use them for your plastic utencils or you can put hot cooking oil in ,then wait till it cools and put lid on ,keep doing this until the can gets full themn throw the whole can in the garbage 😏
      • I do the same with my heavy red Folgers plastic containers Milk cartons etc
        SandySandy Temecula, CA · answered Jan 21, 2017

• I alphabetized mine on a turn table. I have other turn tables or trays for Seasonal Spices, Baking, Oriental and Specialty Spices so I do not have to go through everything for Everyday Cooking.
      • What if you have limited space?
      • Yes very small apt
      • I also use baskets. Love the look on my shelves.
      • Libby Griffis can you post a pic of your baskets?
      • I use a pull out drawer and label the top of the jar what it is (with a magic marker). Jars too tall - lay them down label up.
      • I use the plastic steps that fit in the cabinets. I print out labels for each spice and put it on the side of the lids. Then put them in alphabetical order. When I get a new bottle I use the old lid.
      • I also put mine in a pull out drawer alphabetized a-z the ones too tall I write on the lid,for the big containers I have a shelf I line them up on again a-z
      • I also use a pull out drawer. The ones I use all the time are in the front row. The rest are grouped by type of spice, for example, all my Italian spices together. Anything that doesn't fit with an easy identification label facing up I label with a marker so I can always see the name of the spice.
        SunshineSunshine Rogers, AR · answered Jan 29, 2017
      • I use Tupperware modular Mates Spice Set, take them to the coop and fill them inexpensivly and have fresh spices too
      • I use 2 lazy susans in my small cupboard - 1 for savory, 1 for sweet.
      • I use a wire rack on back of pantry door, purchased from amazon
      • I bought 2 of the plastic shoeboxes you get by the storage tubs at the dollar store and put mine on. A thru O in one, P thru Z in the other. I just take the whole box down and set it on the table to get my spice. I can stack the short bottles this way too.
      • Spice rack from eBay attached to inside of cupboard door
        JillJill United Kingdom · answered Mar 02, 2017
      • I also use plastic shoe boxes for packets and baking/slow cooker/roasting bags.
        SallySally Napa, CA · answered Apr 17, 2017

• Good idea, I do this when buying bagged tuna as well
      • Good idea
      • I used duck tape to cover.
      • I use the cartons the a 12 pack of cans come in and cover it and use it to organize can goods in the pantry. It s a converted coat closet so is very small. cans like prgresspn soup, the larg amount of canned tomatoes fit perfectly in the boxes. I cut the top of the box down the center of the top, fold the cut pieces down into the box to reinforce the sides of the I now have an open container forhte cans so ai can see them and this size box holds 8 to 12 cams so they are easy to get too and done have to stack. container. I'm not home this weekend because it is beach time!! But I will try to post pictures on Monday. I looks like I might be able to post a video. That would be fun!! LOL
        LindyLouLindyLou Lady Lake, FL · answered Jan 27, 2017
      • This is what I do with tiny baby food jars. I pick the whole box up filled with the jars, put it in my cart and then onto the conveyor. The checkout person lives it as well as they can do one "quantity" ring without having to swipe each little jar. Then it keeps thing neat in the pantry at home, especially as the boxes stack but you can still see everything. I don't cover them since I'm constantly getting new ones.
        CindyCindy Southern Pines, NC · answered Feb 05, 2017
      • I use a shoe bag for seasoning envelopes, storing garlic, straws and any other small misc items that I do need t want to put on the shelves in my pantry.
      • I buy trail mix that comes in clear plastic containers and when is empty I use it in my pantry to organize my pantry by filling them up with Beans,Rice ,macaroni, sugar coffee pretty much anything making my pantry look very organized!
      • Amazing. contact paper is expensive Here.
      • I agree with you -- seems like the ConTac brand paper is expensive, but I buy the larger roll and it lasts a long time. I have tried the dollar store stuff and it does not work for me. I always end up having to put scotch tape on it to keep it on the box.
      • I think you could also use my type of paper/design and affix it with the spray-on/aerosol glue, but use what you've got, eh? I've used wrapping paper in this way to cover an old picture frame & it looked great.
      • Left over gift bags make great paper for which you can cover boxes. Usually gift bags are really pretty.
      • Just a comment that the almost square containers, in the same picture, are available in two sizes at Costco; they come with food inside. When empty, I wash and dry; I used them in my pantry for storing other items; cookies or crackers, marshmallows, oatmeal, grits, dried beans and other things which are packaged in bags but last longer when stored in airtight containers. The taller ones hold things like dry cereal, potato chips, cookies, flour and sugar, etc. The containers do come with a variety of colors for the different items, but if you wish to have the same color throughout the pantry, a little spray paint is the cure. They really look co-ordinated with my Tupperware containers and make organization much easier.

• Exactly what i do.lol
      • This is so easy and economical. Thanks.
        FlorenceFlorence Toms River, NJ · answered Apr 09, 2017
      • Yes! Like 4

• I collect tins, so I use pretty tins in the kitchen for all items that I might want available but stored smartly and pretty.

ShirleyShirley Soddy Daisy, TN · answered Apr 27, 2017
      • Me, too! I have sooo many things in tins. I (sometimes) label them by covering a magnet with a file folder label or masking tape writing down the contents. You could use chalkboard magnets the same way.
      • I store all those little packets as well in plastic containers usually from dollar store, also put boxes of pudding and jello in them,,I can see what is in each one and they are all together
      • I used a box that held a gift creamer and sugar holder from my grandmother gave me for my wedding 40 years ago. I ussd it for at least 30 years. It finally got so ragged that I threw it away. I don't waste anything. Hahahaha.

• love thi
      • I use a plastic basket
      • Love this ideal
      • Kleenex tissue boxes works very well. I did this years ago and they have
        really held up for a long time.
      • I use my tissue boxs for little trash bags from the store.
      • I use a cardboard recipe box. (5x7 index card size). It's the perfect width also.
      • I did this years ago and it works very well. I'd like to know what you bought that gave you those wonderful clear storage containers? I've been repurposing those the extra large size creamer containers from Wal-mart to hold my dry goods but they are a cream color and I'd really rather have the clear containers you have.
      • I also use the clear storage containers. I purchased mine in several sizes at my local Wal Mart store.
        Rita DeanRita Dean Yellville, AR · answered Sep 22, 2017
      • I buy rice, cous cous, etc in those containers, They're great for dog treats, kids' puzzle pieces, legos, and small toy storage too!
      • Maybe trail mixes??
      • nuts or raisins come in those as well!

TinaTina Bryan, TX · answered Jul 13, 2018

• Yes. Believe so.
      • Thx
        MaggieMaggie United Kingdom · answered Sep 22, 2017
      • yes

• Its like wallpaper for the wall, thougj used for inside cabinets or drawers.
      • Thank you Marina
        MaggieMaggie United Kingdom · answered Jan 08, 2018
      • It is a ticky backed vinyl type paper that used to be widely used In drawers, cabinets etc.