Homemade Reusable Dryer Sheets

$5

Remember in high school when almost everything was potentially embarrassing? Like, oh my goodness, one hair is out of place or I stuttered when the teacher called on me?! The horror right?! Well, one time I had one of those moments with a dryer sheet at a football game – when you are supposed to be at your absolute coolest.
A group of my friends were all goofing around, I’m sure trying to be cool and
homemade reusable dryer sheets, cleaning tips, how to, laundry rooms
Mak eco-friendly, reusable laundry "sheets" for inexpensive, static free drying!
What you need:
A plastic container
Sponges, cut in half
Fabric softener
Water
Optional: pretty paper, Mod Podge, paint brush, x-acto knife
What you need to do:
1. Before we get to the actual making of the reusable dryer sheets, you can choose to pretty up your container by cutting a piece of paper to fit the top and Mod Podging it on (one coat under and one coat over). Just because everything needs to be a little prettier, right?:)
The pretty finished top!
2. Mix together a 2 to 1 ratio of water to laundry softener, filling the container about 2/3 full.
I used regular water and store this in the refrigerator because some people have said they were worried about mold. However, I also heard if you used distilled water you shouldn’t have to worry about mold storing it out of the refrigerator.
3. Cut the sponges in half. Submerge in mixture. Close top and you’re done!
This is what the container looks like when you're done!
4. To use: Wring out two sponges and pop into the dryer with your wet laundry. Dry as normal.
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of September 17, 2018 11:40 PM - More info
Megan Aubrey

• Lisa

Does the fabric softener stain clothes in the dryer? I have had shirts ruined when softener gets on them directly. I want to try this but I am afraid of it staining.

• Asf30952202

On materials used list, what's with DRYER SHEETS???

• Margaret

You still have to buy the Downey, which is not cheap...can anything else be used instead?

• Megan Aubrey

You can use whatever brand of fabric softener you would like! This was the small bottle that only cost a few bucks.

• Itkahs Emih

I love this and the container is so cute! I think a more embarrassing moment would be underwear falling out of your pants leg....seen it, it was hilarious! But for me it was a maxi pad strip static clinging to the back of my All black pants! Ahh memories. ;-)

• Pati

How about just using a little liquid softener in the washer.... Same thing, no box sitting around, no sponges, less clutter, less money. I don't get why you want to spend extra money and go to extra trouble.

• Megan Aubrey

I did it as a sub to static sheets in the dryer - not for softening clothes in the laundry. It ended up being cheaper and less waste for me!