Homemade Reusable Dryer Sheets

$5

Remember in high school when almost everything was potentially embarrassing? Like, oh my goodness, one hair is out of place or I stuttered when the teacher called on me?! The horror right?! Well, one time I had one of those moments with a dryer sheet at a football game – when you are supposed to be at your absolute coolest.
A group of my friends were all goofing around, I’m sure trying to be cool and
homemade reusable dryer sheets, cleaning tips, how to, laundry rooms
Mak eco-friendly, reusable laundry "sheets" for inexpensive, static free drying!
What you need:
A plastic container
Sponges, cut in half
Fabric softener
Water
Optional: pretty paper, Mod Podge, paint brush, x-acto knife
What you need to do:
1. Before we get to the actual making of the reusable dryer sheets, you can choose to pretty up your container by cutting a piece of paper to fit the top and Mod Podging it on (one coat under and one coat over). Just because everything needs to be a little prettier, right?:)
The pretty finished top!
2. Mix together a 2 to 1 ratio of water to laundry softener, filling the container about 2/3 full.
I used regular water and store this in the refrigerator because some people have said they were worried about mold. However, I also heard if you used distilled water you shouldn’t have to worry about mold storing it out of the refrigerator.
3. Cut the sponges in half. Submerge in mixture. Close top and you’re done!
This is what the container looks like when you're done!
4. To use: Wring out two sponges and pop into the dryer with your wet laundry. Dry as normal.
Megan Aubrey

• Donna Closser

Does it takes out the static?

• Shelby

I live in New Mexico, where we have very little humidity. Sometimes as low as 8%. So static electricity and cling are a major problem. I use liquid Downey in the washer and dryer sheets in the dryer. I want to try this with the sponges. If you don’t do something in BOTH machines, your pants will cling to your leg, and your skirt will cling to your slip. Great idea!

• Regina

It says two to one ratio, do you use more of the water or softner

• Regina

2 to 1 ratio of water to softener equates to 2 parts water to 1 part softener, generally the parts are listed in the order of the ratio unless otherwise stated.

• Ruby Jones Rawlings

How many times can you use a sponge before redialing in mixture? Ruby

• Megan Aubrey

I take it from the mixture, pop it in the dryer and then when the load is done drying put the sponge back in the mixture. It will be dry and shriveled up again!

• Rwi11762727
    31 minutes ago

I've heard that fabric softener sheets aren't really so great due to the fact that they leave a sticky residue on the vent and so will have a lint build up. You can feel it when you touch the sheet. I wonder if the same is true with the DIY version.

• Rwi11762727
    24 minutes ago

P.S. Me again, you can also leave a few thin (probably dollar store type) washcloths nearby and put them in the liquid fs and water combo and just wring them out and pop them in the dryer. I do this with a plain wet washcloth if my clothes stay in too long and get a bit wrinkled. Just 5-10 minutes and your good to go.