Homemade Reusable Dryer Sheets

$5

Remember in high school when almost everything was potentially embarrassing? Like, oh my goodness, one hair is out of place or I stuttered when the teacher called on me?! The horror right?! Well, one time I had one of those moments with a dryer sheet at a football game – when you are supposed to be at your absolute coolest.
A group of my friends were all goofing around, I’m sure trying to be cool and impress people – like you do in high school. I had on a hoodie – because what else do you wear in high school and college, right? Suddenly, I felt a something slightly amiss with my sweatshirt. Things weren’t laying right and I was feeling a little itchy.
I investigated and – horror of horrors – I pulled out a dryer sheet from under my sweatshirt.
I frantically looked around. Did anyone see me pull that out of my sweatshirt? How embarrassing. I don’t know what to do! So (and HUGE shame on me) I quickly just throw it on the ground (ahh it still pains me to realize that I LITTERED) and walk away.
Suddenly, someone from my group of friends picks it up and holds it in the air. “What is this? Why the heck is this on the ground? Weird!”
I furtively look around. Did anyone see me? Is my super pale skin that has suddenly turned fire engine red giving me away? Few. No one is pointing at me and laughing. (Teenage) crisis avoided.
Not that it has haunted me forever, but I’ve never really been a fan of the static sheets over the years. Sometimes I feel like they are a waste of money, don’t work, and just add to the landfill. However, I have had some major static moments recently with my new sheets (that are more like blankets and are ahhhmazing) so I thought I would try something a little bit different – and a little more eco-friendly.
sheets
homemade reusable dryer sheets, cleaning tips, how to, laundry rooms
Mak eco-friendly, reusable laundry "sheets" for inexpensive, static free drying!
What you need:
A plastic container
Sponges, cut in half
Fabric softener
Water
Optional: pretty paper, Mod Podge, paint brush, x-acto knife
What you need to do:
1. Before we get to the actual making of the reusable dryer sheets, you can choose to pretty up your container by cutting a piece of paper to fit the top and Mod Podging it on (one coat under and one coat over). Just because everything needs to be a little prettier, right?:)
The pretty finished top!
2. Mix together a 2 to 1 ratio of water to laundry softener, filling the container about 2/3 full.
I used regular water and store this in the refrigerator because some people have said they were worried about mold. However, I also heard if you used distilled water you shouldn’t have to worry about mold storing it out of the refrigerator.
3. Cut the sponges in half. Submerge in mixture. Close top and you’re done!
This is what the container looks like when you're done!
4. To use: Wring out two sponges and pop into the dryer with your wet laundry. Dry as normal.
Megan Aubrey

• Lisa

Does the fabric softener stain clothes in the dryer? I have had shirts ruined when softener gets on them directly. I want to try this but I am afraid of it staining.

• Asf30952202

On materials used list, what's with DRYER SHEETS???

• Margaret

You still have to buy the Downey, which is not cheap...can anything else be used instead?

• Megan Aubrey

You can use whatever brand of fabric softener you would like! This was the small bottle that only cost a few bucks.

• Itkahs Emih

I love this and the container is so cute! I think a more embarrassing moment would be underwear falling out of your pants leg....seen it, it was hilarious! But for me it was a maxi pad strip static clinging to the back of my All black pants! Ahh memories. ;-)

• Pati

How about just using a little liquid softener in the washer.... Same thing, no box sitting around, no sponges, less clutter, less money. I don't get why you want to spend extra money and go to extra trouble.

• Megan Aubrey

I did it as a sub to static sheets in the dryer - not for softening clothes in the laundry. It ended up being cheaper and less waste for me!