Add Vertical Storage to Empty Kitchen Space in 20 Minutes

$3-10

Do you have any unused vertical space in your kitchen? Don't you hate it when you have something that you keep losing track of because it doesn't have a proper home?
For me it's my little collection of food magazines. I have a rather small collection and some of them are a few years old. But I do like to keep them on hand for reference when I creating new recipes. They are a bit big and floppy to keep on the shelf with my cookbooks so I've been tucking them in various places around the kitchen. Bad plan, believe me.
This is what the space looked like before . . .
Since I knew it wouldn't need to hold much weight (I mainly just collect food mags when the mood strikes) I didn't worry about anchoring the rail or the wooden ledge at all. I used 2 small corner braces under the ledge to attach it to the cabinet wall and they are quite sturdy.
Jennifer Tucker

• Rena Noele

Is the metal bar a towel rack or something from IKEA? Please tell me what it is and where you bought it?

• Rena Noele

Thanks for letting me know where it came from because I like the slim line. Most Hometalk posts list what was used in the project, without needing to follow links.

• Eileen Martin

What is the ziploc box thing

• Shariw1007

This is part of a slide show with "11 different kitchen storage hacks!" The ziploc box is for the first hack for storing your spice packets. It has nothing to do with this one!!
  • Katherine

Where did you find this kind of magazine rack and how did you attach the TOP railing to the cabinet?

• Jennifer Tucker

Hi Katherine! Thank you for your question. Here's a link to the original post, Wasted Spaces that should answer your questions a little better.

Jennifer