DIY Vertical Pallet Garden

Inspired by so many pallet gardens I've seen on the interwebs, I decided to give it a try myself when I stumbled upon this lucky find. Amazing what one can accomplish with a little leftover paint and some elbow grease!
Create your own Vertical Pallet Garden to usher in Spring.
I was lucky to find a healthy looking pallet on the side of the road, so I tossed it in the trunk and brought my newest treasure home.
I asked hubby to be a dear and rearrange and reinforce some of the slats on the back.
Hubby also nailed some 1"x4"s to the bottoms of the shelves. (Arrows indicate reinforcements) He nailed a 2"x4" to the very bottom for additional support. Then I lightly sanded it to remove splintered wood.
Painted it with old leftover paint from the trim of the house.
Used staple gun to staple black gardening plastic to the back and to line each shelf.
Looked for an inspiring gardening quote to stencil onto front.
This quote felt just right.
Filled up shelves with potting soil and planted my blooms. :)

15 Amazing Projects To Help Make Your Home Look Fabulous
3 Wonderful Ways You Can Upcycle Old Windows
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
15 Memorial Day Crafts
24 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
Hide Your Couch's Wear and Tear With These Great Ideas
Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home

• Dee

I planted one very similar to this in the spring, with different succalent plants, etc. I left it siting flat on the deck for at least 5 weeks, as we were having a wet spring here in Maryland. After finally getting it upright, some of the soil has shifted, and now I have some erosion spots. How do I fill them in, without the dirt falling out, as I replace it? I was thinking, that eventually the plants will fill in, and the spots will not show?

• Kathy Gorski-Vansach

What font did you use?

• Cathy sunshine

Great idea. I’m going to do this diy for my herbs and write (a taste for my pallet). Thanks you. Keep those ideas coming.😄

• Stacy Brooks 310

I made one of these planters a few years ago and love it. I used mini aluminum loaf pans to line the shelves and it makes it really easy to replant or trim plants back.

• Kimberly

That’s a great idea and less waste I’m using plastic containers just building a little bigger raised bed then filling the food safe plastic boxes with holes instead of metal but definitely disposable stuff is easy.

• Ruth

i have done this in the past. Problems i had were, no drainage so in wet weather plants rot. In mid to late summer, heat caused plants to die, since not enough soil to hold moisture

• Carlene Cochran

I put old sponges in the bottom of my planters and raised bed planters (they are 4x4 and 35 inches high and were drying out very badly. Also, baby diapers or adult diapers help in a pinch but the old cleaning sponges work the best for my planters and keeping moisture in. Also helps with keeping moisture out as they soak up the extra water but not a deluge wondering why you would plant anything without a drainage hole in it. Maybe pebbles on the bottom either way all plants need something that will give them air to breathe and a drainage spot.