DIY Vertical Pallet Garden

Inspired by so many pallet gardens I've seen on the interwebs, I decided to give it a try myself when I stumbled upon this lucky find. Amazing what one can accomplish with a little leftover paint and some elbow grease!
Create your own Vertical Pallet Garden to usher in Spring.
I was lucky to find a healthy looking pallet on the side of the road, so I tossed it in the trunk and brought my newest treasure home.
I asked hubby to be a dear and rearrange and reinforce some of the slats on the back.
Hubby also nailed some 1"x4"s to the bottoms of the shelves. (Arrows indicate reinforcements) He nailed a 2"x4" to the very bottom for additional support. Then I lightly sanded it to remove splintered wood.
Painted it with old leftover paint from the trim of the house.
Used staple gun to staple black gardening plastic to the back and to line each shelf.
Looked for an inspiring gardening quote to stencil onto front.
This quote felt just right.
Filled up shelves with potting soil and planted my blooms. :)

• Michelle Brooks

Hi! I saw another project similar to this where the author recommended also putting black plastic on the sides & bottom of each shelf to help prevent the wood from rotting. Have you had any problem with wood rot? What I can't figure out is how to put the plastic then the weed fabric and still have the water drain properly. Thanks!

• DD456

I would think the plants would absorb the water?

• Sandy Nelson

Great idea! Would painting the pallets that are not marked with HT prevent the chemicals from leaching into the vegetables ?

• Dee

I planted one very similar to this in the spring, with different succalent plants, etc. I left it siting flat on the deck for at least 5 weeks, as we were having a wet spring here in Maryland. After finally getting it upright, some of the soil has shifted, and now I have some erosion spots. How do I fill them in, without the dirt falling out, as I replace it? I was thinking, that eventually the plants will fill in, and the spots will not show?

• Stacy Brooks 310

I made one of these planters a few years ago and love it. I used mini aluminum loaf pans to line the shelves and it makes it really easy to replant or trim plants back.

• Kimberly

That’s a great idea and less waste I’m using plastic containers just building a little bigger raised bed then filling the food safe plastic boxes with holes instead of metal but definitely disposable stuff is easy.

• Ruth

i have done this in the past. Problems i had were, no drainage so in wet weather plants rot. In mid to late summer, heat caused plants to die, since not enough soil to hold moisture