Diz26
Diz26
  • Miami, FL

DIY Vertical Pallet Garden

Inspired by so many pallet gardens I've seen on the interwebs, I decided to give it a try myself when I stumbled upon this lucky find. Amazing what one can accomplish with a little leftover paint and some elbow grease!
diy vertical pallet garden, container gardening, flowers, gardening, pallet, repurposing upcycling
Create your own Vertical Pallet Garden to usher in Spring.
I was lucky to find a healthy looking pallet on the side of the road, so I tossed it in the trunk and brought my newest treasure home.
I asked hubby to be a dear and rearrange and reinforce some of the slats on the back.
Hubby also nailed some 1"x4"s to the bottoms of the shelves. (Arrows indicate reinforcements) He nailed a 2"x4" to the very bottom for additional support. Then I lightly sanded it to remove splintered wood.
Painted it with old leftover paint from the trim of the house.
Used staple gun to staple black gardening plastic to the back and to line each shelf.
Looked for an inspiring gardening quote to stencil onto front.
This quote felt just right.
Filled up shelves with potting soil and planted my blooms. :)

• Michelle Brooks

Hi! I saw another project similar to this where the author recommended also putting black plastic on the sides & bottom of each shelf to help prevent the wood from rotting. Have you had any problem with wood rot? What I can't figure out is how to put the plastic then the weed fabric and still have the water drain properly. Thanks!

• Glen

With projects like this I make a drain hose by drilling holes in a piece of old water hose which I lay in the bottom run through a hole drilled in the back or side of the flower box. I then caulk the inside cracks and paint the in sides with water proof paint.

• Sandy Nelson

Great idea! Would painting the pallets that are not marked with HT prevent the chemicals from leaching into the vegetables ?

• Dee

I planted one very similar to this in the spring, with different succalent plants, etc. I left it siting flat on the deck for at least 5 weeks, as we were having a wet spring here in Maryland. After finally getting it upright, some of the soil has shifted, and now I have some erosion spots. How do I fill them in, without the dirt falling out, as I replace it? I was thinking, that eventually the plants will fill in, and the spots will not show?

• If you wanted a more natural look, you could use burlap to hold in the soil, too.

• Terre McCanna

I want to try this! With back and hip troubles and limited space, it would be great for an "old fart" Lol. Thank you! (You also have a great hubby!)