Heather Paulding
Heather Paulding
  • Leesburg, VA

How to Make Biodegradable Seed Pots With Newspaper

This week, I stumbled onto the Better Homes & Gardens website during a random Google search related to gardening. I came across a video of a woman creating a biodegradable seedling pot out of newspaper...it was astounding and super creative! Then, I noticed the woman using a weird wooden contraption. It was a thick wooden dial rod of sorts. It also appeared that it was specifically made for the sole purpose of making these Eco-friendly seed pots. That's not very "Eco-friendly". Do you know what I thought? These seed pots look exactly like empty toilet paper rolls! And that's what I used for my framework...an empty toilet paper roll. HA! There is no shortage of TP in our house...that's for sure.
how to make biodegradable seed pots with newspaper, gardening, how to, repurposing upcycling
Below, I have a step by step YouTube instructional video. This is a very simple DIY project. There is no need to go to Home Depot to buy seedling pots anymore! Take 6 to 8 inches wide of 2-ply newspaper and start to roll with the toilet paper tube in the middle. One end can be flush with the newspaper and the other end needs about 2 inches excess at the bottom for tucking. Once you have rolled your newspaper around the toilet paper tube once or twice tuck the end with the 2-inch excess into the bottom. Trim the other end if necessary. Sit your newspaper tube on a table(tucked end down) then, grab a thick pen or marker and gently press inside your toilet paper tube to compress the newspaper at the bottom. This will flatten your newspaper and create "the bottom" of your pot. Wiggle the toilet paper tube out and you are all done!
Step by step instructions on how to make your Biodegradable Seed Pots!
Heather Paulding

• Carol

Why not use an paper egg carton? When your seeds are started and ready for the outside, just take a shape knife or siccors and separate them. The paper carton will rot down just as easily and will hold the moisture just as well.

• Mfbandit769

Egg shells also work great. So do lemon or orange peels (after the fruit is cut in half and scooped out).