Spring Flower Basket

Turning a .25 thrift store basket into a cute spring flower holder could not be much easier than this! Using rolled fabric scraps and a little paint, I have a colorful basket just in time to welcome spring.
I found four tired looking baskets recently at a local thrift store. They were .25 cents each. I knew I could use them for some spring decor, I just didn't know exactly what I was going to do with them.
I painted the small one a soft pink and while it looked a lot better, it was still pretty plain. That's what sent me to my craft supply closet to look for a way to dress it up.
I have a lot of fabric scraps in my storage and I decided this would be a good use for some of it. I cut various colors of cotton fabric into strips about three inches wide and long enough to wrap around the basket.
I rolled each fabric strip and starting at the bottom of the basket I wrapped each one around the basket, alternating colors until I reached the brim of the basket. I hot glued the fabric roll in place at the start and again at the end of the roll.
To cover the spot where the fabric is glued onto the basket, I made three fabric flowers using the roll and twist method and hot glued them down the front of the basket.
For now, I placed some silk flowers in the basket, but by adding a container inside of the basket for water, I'll be able to use fresh flowers in it as well.
Not too bad for .25, a little spray paint and left over fabric and less than thirty minutes.

Beverly Roderick at Across the Blvd