3po3
3po3

Starting seedlings in eggshells

Not egg cartons, but egg shells. Spring planting will be here before we know it (the days are already getting longer again, hooray) and I came across the most interesting idea for planting seedlings. I have planted seedlings in egg cartons, then "planted" the carton with seedling, but it never occurred to me to actually plant in empty eggshells. To give credit where due, I stole this idea and picture from
starting seedlings in eggshells, container gardening, gardening, repurposing upcycling

• Emily Flanigan

I am home schooling two of 11 grandchildren and for a experiment we planted carrots, cucumbers, squash, tomatoes, pumpkins, & peas (alone with several other veggies) in the eggs shells just as a science experiment. Low an behold after two days they was all coming up! Remy and I had to get my husband to plow up four more rows so we could plant our wonderful findings. When we put them in the ground we finished cracking the egg shell (leaving them attached to the roots & dirt and planted them). Here we are now with four nice rows that we was not expecting! So long store short! Our chicken's producing fresh eggs are helping us produce a larger garden and Remy is learning to not only survive, & recycle, but to live off the land !

• Kathy

Great idea. Thanks