DIY Floating Sideboard / Credenza

$250

Our Ikea hack DIY Floating Sideboard might just be my favorite project yet.

Previously, we were using an Expedit turned mid century modern with this simple DIY (http://www.petitemodernlife.com/2014/11/18/mid-century-expedit-hack/) for our entertainment center. However, it wasn't what I wanted. The TV too high and I wanted doors to shut away all the cables. Also I wanted something white...

So we went to Ikea and picked up some of their narrowest kitchen cabinets and mounted them on the wall with their rail mounting system.

***Unfortunately, as I was first writing this tutorial, I learned that Ikea had literally JUST discontinued the cabinets that we used for this project! I have linked similar cabinets in the post on my blog. Sorry guys!***

However, the main ideas and workings are still the same.We ran the wires behind the TV and into the cabinets and even through the cabinet dividers for more electronic storage space. In Ikea, we went with the doors that had our favorite sheen of white and decided to use them without handles.

After the cabinets were mounted we used Pinewood Project Panels from Lowes, stained with one coat of Dark Walnut to surround the top and sides. We secured the panels with a nail gun.

Everything fits nicely, albeit the PS3 fits sideways, inside and out of detection!

This room is SO much more comfortable and pleasant for us! If you like this style, you'll love the rest of the room makeover! See it here: http://www.petitemodernlife.com/2015/02/09/diy-floating-sideboard-tutorial/# .

Use Ribbon To Decorate For Christmas With These Last Minute Ideas!
Make Your Home a Winter Wonderland With These Stunning Ideas
Quick Easter Egg Ideas That Are Just Too Cute
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
15 Unique Father's Day Crafts
Karisa Grimstad

• Maria
    Maria

HI We love idea! Thanks for sharing it! We also want to have the same tv floating shelf but I am wondering how do you remote your tv? I mean if your tv receiver is in the shelf you cannot remote?! We live in Germany and I haven't been in the USA but our receiver work only if they are over the shelf... Or behind a glas... It is completely irritating because I cannot imagine how does it work in the USA! Thanks a lot! Maria

• Jeanne Cekala
    Jeanne Cekala

You didn't run the TV power cord through the wall, right? Not without an electrical relocation kit... right?

• Katie Price
    Katie Price

What a difference! Very clean and uncluttered.