Beth at Unskinny Boppy
Beth at Unskinny Boppy
  • Birmingham, AL

Do Those Pinterest Recipes Work? Come Take the Silver Polish Test!

I put a popular homemade jewelry cleaner recipe that I found on PInterest to the test against my old trusty stand-by, Wright's Silver Cream. The homemade recipe called for heated water, baking soda, salt and aluminum foil. The chemical reaction smell gave me a headache all night.
Let's play a little game. Can you figure out which vase is which?
One vase is the 'before' image for the group. They all looked like this before the experiment began. Shameful, I know.
One vase was left to soak the BOTTOM HALF ONLY in the Homemade Jewelry Cleaner (HJC) for 10 minutes.
One vase was cleaned with Wright's Silver Cream 100% and didn't touch the HJC
One vase was soaked completely in the HJC for 10 minutes and rinsed with clean water.
One vase was soaked completely in the HJC for 10 minutes and then scrubbed with Wright's Silver Cream.
silver polish test pinterest homemade jewelry cleaner recipe vs wright s silver, cleaning tips, We have a winner Wright s did the job much better than any shortcut ever could
I think we have a clear winner here, what do you think ?
silver polish test pinterest homemade jewelry cleaner recipe vs wright s silver, cleaning tips, As seen in the photos the Wright s cream combined with some elbow grease is the clear winner while the homemade jewelry cleaner left a piece of my silver tarnished forever on left
Shiny things make me happy, do you agree?
silver polish test pinterest homemade jewelry cleaner recipe vs wright s silver, cleaning tips
Come see which vase is which on my blog! Click the link below to read the full post and find out which silver polish worked best.
Beth at Unskinny Boppy

• Alana

Can you use the boiling water/foil method on sterling silver jewelry?

• Barbara Valenti

I have used the aluminum foil with the soda and boiling water. I think it damaged my silver plate but did a good job on the real stuff as I remember. Haven't polished my silver in years, guess as we age it becomes a chore. So we use our other silverware. Times have changed and I do miss the old days of glamourus table settings with silver appointments. I am from the old school and grew up with a silver spoon on my table. Huh, bet you thought I was going to say something bad. But, I didn't! This is a family blog, keep it clean, like our silver.

• Cathy

Wrights Silver Polish will not only remove tarnish, but when left to dry onto silver & then buffed off with soft cloth, leaves a protective cover resistant to tarnish for longer periods of time. I clean my silver every nine to thirteen weeks & fully enjoy the luster shine as displayed w/in décor.