Bernice H
Bernice H
  • Woodburn, OR
Asked on Jan 9, 2013

Acrylic craft paints..can I use them on glass?

Beth Gold RocciaLegionBernice H
+10

I just bought a whole bunch of acrylic paints in the craft section, then the sales girl says it is only for canvas. Is this correct? I want to try painting a faux stained glass window, I thought i had understood some on here used acrylic. Good gravy!! Help?
  • Miriam I

I think @Colleen Jorgensen will know this :)

• Colleen Jorgensen

Bernice, you can use acrylic paints on nearly any surface, not just canvas. However to get a translucent effect as in faux stained glass, regular acrylics won't work well. They are opaque. If you thinned them with a medium you'd have visible brush marks. Sorry. However, there are a couple of products I've used for faux stained glass. One is by DecoArt, called Glass Stains. They have beautiful colors. However, if you're working on a window that is installed, there will be issues with the paint running/dripping. The other product I've used, on installed windows and other projects, is Gallery Glass by Plaid. You 'pour' your design on a mylar sheet, allow it to dry and the peel 'n stick the design to your desired surface. It's wonderful. There's a slight learning curve, but not much. Feel free to contact me if I can help in any way. I used to do a LOT of faux stained glass. Absolutely love it! My email is muralmaker1 @gmail.com.

• KMS Woodworks

Acrylics can be used on Canvas...I have 2 Destiny Womack Originals in Acrylic on Canvas...had them for years now. http://www.etsy.com/shop/wostudios

• Bernice H

thanks @Colleen Jorgensen I bought some paints of both kinds. So dont know what i will do with the acrylic, they were 3 for a dollar right after xmas! But now I have DEco art glass stain and some Gallery glass. Just need to get to it!

• Colleen Jorgensen

That's always the hard part @Bernice H, finding the time :). I love getting glass votives & vases from the dollar store for glass paint, and even Gallery Glass - just to practice & have fun. The acrylic paint will work on nearly anything too. Have fun & let me know what you wind up painting!

• Melinda G

They make paint for glass only. Try Michaels or Hobby Lobby, the paint tubes will have a wine glass on them

• Theresa Stewart

I found my glass paint at Walmart...it's right by the acrylic paints :-)

• Grannybaer

You can use them but it probably won't stay. Glass paint is dishwasher safe.

• Margaret

You can use them on glass, first wash, wipe down with alcohol, spray with a clear coat where you are painting. Its way easier to use glass paint the acrylics arent clear like glass paint either.....try google you can find anything there. Now about those acrylics you can paint pretty much anything. I once painted a travel trailer and duped it Hunter Hacienda. I know that it held up great for a year and Im sure longer. Its tough paint. Flowers on your storage shed or trash cans, flower pots. gifts for some kiddoes, fabric if you get the stuff to mix in but I never did. It just needs to be thinner.

• Fjm3588127

I always painted acrylic paint on wood, but I think you COULD use it on canvas. Don't think it would work on glass.

• Bernice H

Well I never did do what I was thinking,so nothing to show or report!

• Legion

acrylic can go on wood, canvas, plaster, bisque, clothes, shoes like sneakers. It can be used on glass I have seen it used only on wine glasses and mirrors. On glass windows I would go with glass paint it will give you the finish you want.

• Beth Gold Roccia

Always used it on glass, especially sliding glass doors..helped certain people from going into the glass by seeing a design. Find some great stencils and go for it. Easy to clean off too for a different design for every season or occasion..