DIY Mirrored ceiling medallion

We wanted a mirrored ceiling medallion and couldn't find one under $500 so we made our own for about $30 out of candle plates from Hobby Lobby. You can read about the room makeover here. http://bella-tucker.com/2011/06/tween-room-makeover/
DIY mirrored ceiling medallion by Bella Tucker Decorative Finishes
Completed room makeover by Bella Tucker Decorative Finishes
DIY mirrored ceiling medallion application.
Bella Tucker Decorative Finishes

• Marty Swain

What kind of adhesive did you use?

• Pat

They have it at Lowe's or home depot,liquid cement, I think it's calked. Check with the people in home improvement store. They are very helpful, just tell what you are doing.

• Ginny Sutton

Our home has popcorn ceilings throughout the house. Would this be a problem applying with cement? Wondering how secure it would be on ceiling.

• Mary

Go ahead and do it.. just do this: I also have a popcorn ceiling in my dining room, but I have a beautiful crystal chandelier that I want to expose more. My popcorn ceiling is the type anybody puts on... you can buy it in a spray can, or in a gallon can and just roll it on. (Menards/Lowe's/Home Depot) I did my ceiling years ago when my bathroom vanity leaked and it's right above my dining room. So when I put it on, I experimented on how big I wanted the "popcorn pieces" to be. I went with a very tiny size. I am going to use a scraper and scrape off the popcorn stuff where the mirrors will go, and if I don't like it, I can always remove the mirrors and go buy a can of popcorn mix and just redo where the mirrors had been. (then probably have to re-paint the ceiling) Also, for any one reading this: my entry door has a half circle built into the top of the door, and I had a beveled glass design put in there. When the sun hits the beveled glass design, I get RAINBOWS ON MY LIVING ROOM AND DINING ROOM WALLS and on the floors too! The Rainbows are about 4 inches wide and I get lots of them ! My grandkids think it's magical, and I am just as in awe as they are, and even other adults are like, "oh wow!!!" So when you buy mirrors for this project, by mirrors that have beveled edges and I can't wait to do this!! Woo Hoo, so excited. (but my bad neck is saying, "no no no !" LOL) Here's a link for Liquid Nails for Mirrors. They state: As with any mirror adhesive, this product must be used with a permanent mechanical support system, such as a shelf angle or "J" channel. After looking up what "J" channel or support systems are, they are basically saying that to adhere mirrors to something, you should FRAME it in. That sort of makes sense. So now I'm thinking about a wood trim, that can be glued up using regular Liquid Nails, and painted before hanging it up, but now I don't know what color to paint it?? Same as my ceiling, which is a bright white, maybe??? LINK:http://www.liquidnails.com/products/mirror-adhesive-LN730 Thanks for posting this Bella Tucker Designs.

• Mary

My Bad... if I had put the link in so it was on a line all by itself, you would be able to click on it, so here it is again. Liquid Nails for Mirrors: http://www.liquidnails.com/products/mirror-adhesive-LN730

• Bernice H

Mirrored ceiling tiles....hi just curious about how much light is reflected at different times? With chandelier on,off and daylight. We are moving and the bedroom could be dark,wondering if I would be able to get a spot of daylight from reflection? And at night does the light from chandelier reflect in eyes as one is reading in bed?

• Bernice H

Mirrored ceiling...and....how hard would it be to take down?

• Kaye

What did you use to get them to stick? I've used mirrors everywhere and on anything,lol? I have had them to fall or the glue to later bleed thru making them dark.

• Genene

Liquid nail

• Mary

Here's a link to Liquid Nails for Mirrors: http://www.liquidnails.com/products/mirror-adhesive-LN730

• Meli

Just saw that they don't recommend LiquidNails for Mirrors on ceilings ...

• Lnd6507547

Non-acetic (ie: water based) silicon, will hold the mirrors on just about any clean, even, surface. If you can't find the words, "non acetic," on the tube, then it's probably not the one you want. This type of silicon is the kind used on things like polystyrene, without melting it.

• Hadar Marina Dolinsky

I am planning to use Ikea gexagonal mirrors pack as ceiling medallion in my dining room. I wonder if somebody tried it already?

• Far7220727

What glue did you use.. I hope it doesn't fall on someone's head

• Norina Robertson

What size was the mirrors please

• Lyn

What did you use to attach candle plates to ceiling?

• Mmonwe

Hi, Bella how did u do those mirror lights it's stunning