Diana Wearing
Diana Wearing
  • Oregon, WI

Mason Jar Bird Feeders ~

The perfect storm! A box full of old pot lids a bunch of mason jars & a buy one get one free sale on poultry bases at the local farm store…I may have got just a little carried away making bird feeders :)
mason jar bird feeder, how to, mason jars, outdoor living, pets animals, repurposing upcycling
Gathered my supplies...
Screwed the jars on to the poultry feeder bases ~ the red are plastic the metal are galvanized I did end up painting a few of these no real reason I just wanted to mix things up :)
I attached the lids using E6000 glue while this works great it smells awful! Make sure to only use in a well ventilated area!
Drilled holes in the bases to aid with drainage ~
Filled and ready for visitors! The small one has a water base attached I’m hoping the little birds will drink from it…
Cheap metal shower curtain hook/rings are awesome for hanging the feeders (work great for hanging plants & solar lights as well) I bought a package of a dozen at the dollar store for you guessed it $1!
Like I said I got a little carried away making these…

To see more: https://www.facebook.com/dianasdiyden

• Rosalie

Is the post a squirrel feeder

• Diana Wearing

@Rosalie Sometimes...the baffle on the post keeps most of the squirrels and chipmunk down but occasionally a crafty squirrel will figure out another way to get to the top :)

• Honey Fischer

How are they filled if the jars are glued to the base?

• Dorothy Watson

Do you fill them by unscrewing. The jar from the base.

• Ellen

How do you keep the shower curtain hooks from sliding on the pot cover handles? A breeze or the birds tip mine, and the seed spills out.

• Bradfield08

Tie rope, twine or a pretty ribbon onto the handle first with a loop for the hook.

• Deb White

Why would you drill holes in the base for drainage cause when you fill it with hummingbird food, it'll run right out? I now you meant for the ones to be used for seeds, but you'd better clarify that in your directions.

• Barbara Myers

Where do you get the base?

• Diana Wearing

@Barbara Myers - I get mine at our local farm store - they are also available online just search for poultry bases :-)

• Janewatkins63

Did you drill many holes or one large holes in the jar lid?

• Diana Wearing

I drill many holes in the base of the feeder for drainage not in the lid

• Janewatkins63

I thought you had to glue the jar lid into place to enable the jar to be unscrewed and taken off, therefore if the lids were on I couldn't see how it emptied.

• Nance Freeman

If you drill holes in the bottom of the feeder, how do you keep the bird seed from falling out of the bottom. Bird seed has really small seeds in it?

• Diana Wearing

The holes are really small just big enough to let water drain...we use black oil sunflower seeds to fill ours so there's no problem with the seeds falling out :-)

• Nance Freeman

Thanks I use wild bird seed and it has all kinds of seeds and nuts in it I do know that one is wheat. and it is very small. I will have to drill with the smallest drill bit I have.

• Tammy

How did you attach the pot kids to the bars ? I think these are awesome and I want to make them for my little feathered friends.

• Lori Brown

I tried that glue on mine...wouldn't hold up in our climate. ...any other glue suggestions ?

• Mary Bailey

Gorilla glue

• Carol Bidwell Lewis

Liquid nails

• Anne Jansen

E600 is not really made to withstand the outdoors. Any of these outdoor crafty projects you read about where they are using E6000, don't use it. Instead use chalk silicone caulk. It's made for outdoors, dries clear and can withstand all elements.

• Patricia Hinshaw

Try gorrila glue

• Good Samaritan. With love.

Use silicone, it is water proof.

• Good Samaritan. With love.

Two problems.If placed in the sun, the lids will get extremely hot and the birds will burn they're little feet. Also the heat will transfer from the lid to the jar and warm up the water. Birds will not be able to enjoy a drink. Solve problem by covering the lid with straw 2 or 3 layers. allow straw to overhang the lid slightly. It will stay cool, add shade and keep water fresh. straw will not allow birds to burn they're feet and it will give it a country look.

• Lori Brown

The glue didn't hold...I guess it the humidity in my area ....any other glue suggestions?

• Caroline Hargrove

@Lori Brown If you get it on where the two items touch, also must put some on both items, let it set for about 2 min, then attach them together. Weight them down so they stay snug and let set at least 24 hrs, 48 is best. E6000 should work fine anywhere. Also be sure both items are clean. If the inside of the lid is painted, perhaps if you mark where the jar will be and then scrape off the paint where it will touch, may help. Worth trying these ideas.

• Anne Jansen

E600 is not really for outdoor applucations. A much better choice is clear silicone caulk.

• Dor6244719

I fixed a broken fender on a friends car with E6000 about 4 months ago and it"s held fine. I think that clamping or weighting down the 2 items is the answer. I've never had any problems with a permanet fix using E600 whether it's on small items like jewerly or as stated above, fixing a car's fender.

• Mary M. Prinzavalli

Anne Jansen, Diana said the glue was E6000 not E600. And I love the feeders especially the ones with the big lids as we have squirrels in our yard and they love the seed as much as the birds. You did a great job.

• Kay p.

What about Gorilla glue.

• Marilyn Barris

Have you tried outdoor, waterproof silicone? Not sure about adhesion for something with real weight like these. Works great for a gazing ball left outside! But, I am in PA so we don't normally get high humidities for long.

• Sil326220

Where did you find so many of these lids?

• Diana Wearing

Found most at flea markets...thrift stores are also a good place to hunt for them :-)

• Dre949785

Good will

• Sonia Morrow

Good Lord, I wish we had flea markets over here in Ireland. Our equivalent is a car booter. Honestly speaking, the stuff there is cr*p.

• Anna Falcon

How do you fill the feeder?

• Melody

what are the white trimmed in red lid's... I know they are metal but what kind? I have been trying to figure this out for forever! thanks for the help!

• Ann8527411

Where do you purchase the E6000 glue?

• Ann8527411

Do you make dragon flys? If so can you please give instructions?

• Diana Wearing

I've never made dragon flys - if I do one day I'll post the instructions :-)

• Barbara Morgan

I have seen them made from table legs and ceiling fan blades.

• Ann8527411

Thank you!!

• Dco22451989

I saw them on PINTEREST made from wire beaters with beads added for color. You bend the wires out for wings, handle is the body.

• Mary

Are these squirrel proof?

• Diana Wearing

I’m not sure any feeders are totally squirrel proof...we hang ours on a post with a baffle to keep squirrels, raccoons & chipmunks from being able to get to them :-)

• Mary

Thanks, I will try baffle when I make this!

• Beverly Webster

I have my feeders on a tree limb not sturdy enough for a squirrel, but steady enough for the feeder. . The squirrels can't get to the feeder that way. They get the dregs on the ground.

• Mary

Thank you! I'm looking around my yard for a weaker limb right now. The squirrels are extremely pesky, and get all the bird seed!

• Wendy Erdheim

Where do I purchase the glue you use?

• Carol in VT

Diane, just saw these tonight and they are adorable. Thanks for such a detailed post as well as great pictures @ each step. I am curious about the lids though--how did you have such a collection of lids without having to purchase the pits in entirety? Did you buy just the lids only somewhere? Many of us have supplies of the jars, but finding a source for enamel lids....that I'm stumped on. Carol

• Diana Wearing

Hi Carol –Thank you! You can sometimes find the lids at antique stores, barn sales, auctions and thrift stores but the best place I’ve found is flea markets, I look for the vendors selling cast iron frying pans they usually are also selling the old lids. Good luck!

• Andrea Graham

Garage sales too.

• Mary Hofstra

Where do you buy the poultry feeder bases and how much are they? I love the look with the enameled lids! Those lids are hard to find! That's usually what we're missing! Or the handle on the top of the lid has broken off! But I'm going to look at all of our 2nd hand stores for those lids!

• Diana Wearing

Hi Mary! Glad you like them! I get the bases at our local farm store, Farm & Fleet (most farm supply/feed stores should stock them) the metal ones are around $3.50 each. I’m sure you can also buy them online. Flea markets, antique stores & barn sales are good places to hunt for lids – good luck!

• Mary Hofstra

Thanks for such a prompt reply! Again, my reason to just LOVE ❤️Hometalk! Hope you have a Blessed Year😊

• Ginny Erickson

How do you fill them?

• Kenna MacDonald

wondering the same thing ! once the e6000 is on...they are stuck for good.....and lid doesn't allow for filling from the top !

• Andrea Graham

The jar screws into the base of the feeder. The pot lid is glued to what is actually the bottom of the jar. It's turned upside down.

• Diana Wearing

The base screws on to the jar so you just flip it over and unscrew it to fill :-)

• Ginny Erickson

Thanks!

• Rebeckah Finchum

what are you drilling holes in for draning

• Elizabeth Leight

if it rains,you don't want water pooling in the bottom tray

• Diana Wearing

Drain holes help to keep the seeds from srouting & molding if they get wet

• Cheryl

I don't think the seeds are going to try out that quickly. Secondly if you drill a hole in the bottom aren't the seed going to fall through?
  • Renata

Those are really cute but I am wondering if the birds can actually perch to eat? Since they are chicken feeders and meant to sit on the ground they are rounded. Where would birds be able to land to get the food if they are hanging ? Just had a thought..maybe drill a small hole down and to the side of each food hole and glue a stick or dowel in the drilled hole...might work. ?

• Diana Wearing

The little birds seem to be able to perch & eat but I do like the idea of adding something to the base to create a larger perching area…been kicking around a few ideas. If I do come up with a simple solution I’ll be sure to update the post :-)

• Sandy Mattes Cerveny

I make these also, I add a plastic plate to the bottom of bird feeder so they can land on that and easily get to the food. Drill drain holes in this plate also.

• Mindy

E6000 another pot lid to the bottom. Or a plate.
    • Karen Silva

Since you have the drill out... a couple holes abd some dowels
  • Barbara J. McCauley

Where do I find poultry base???I'm a city gal....thanks
    • Diana Wearing

I'm a city girl too!
      I get them at our local Farm & Fleet store, most farm supply or feed stores should carry them and I'm sure they’re also available online :-)

• Linda Fowler

If you have a Tractor Supply they carry them
    • Mindy

Rural King, Tractor Supply, Murray McMurray Chicken Supplies. All have online stores.
    • Audrey

I got mine from Amazon!!
  • Lara Broon

Any tips on how to loosen weathered metal lids from jars to refill?
    • Mindy

Rub some Vaseline, Olive oil, or other cooking oil around the rings before you screw the lids on. Should help.
    • Sheila

Place lid down in hot water. Wait a few minutes; then use a jar opener and unscrew lid. In the future use a lubricant when putting lid on.
  • Ter31446256

How did you paint galvanized metal. I have tried and find it difficult to get the paint to stick. Even with primer.
    • Diana Wearing

I think I used Rust-Oleum spray paint on them, you might want to rough up the surface with sand paper or you can cover them with liquid toilet bowl cleaner to de-gloss them. I did have someone comment that it might e safer for the birds not to paint them just in case they pecked at them and ingested paint chips, I'm not sure that would happen but better safe then sorry.

• Linda

Love the project, where did you find all the lids?
    • Joe D

I have made a bunch of these for Christmas presents. I have been finding lids at Goodwills around the area. They usually have a bin of orphan lids for 99 cents a piece. Then I used gorilla glue clear to attach to jars.
  • Chr26390858

Where did you find all those awesome lids?Great project,I bet the bird love them!
    • Diana Wearing

Thanks! Our birds are happy

I find the lids at flea markets, estate sales, garage sales, thrift stores etc.
      You can also sometimes find them at antique stores but they’re usually a little more expensive.

• Suzanne Tanner

• Mary Lomax

How do you fill the jars with the seed?
  • Grd28178760

Where do you find the feeders?
    • Diana Wearing

I get the bases at our local Farm & Fleet most farm supply stores should carry them and you should also be able to find the online, they are mason jar poultry bases. Good Luck!

• Jack James

I found some at our local CO-OP stores and Lowe's
  • A.M

do you use the same glue for all your outside projects?

have you ever tried to drill into a glass wine bottle thank you

• Diana Wearing

I do use the E6000 glue for my crafty outside projects it seems to hold up well for me. I’ve got a couple junk flowers made with a combination of glass, metal and ceramic pieces that I leave out all year round that are still together after 4-5 years. I never have tried drilling through glass, I’ve wanted to I just haven’t tried it yet.

• A.M

I’m going to start gluing Metal, ceramic and glass pieces for outside art. And I‘ve tried a few types of glue. I’ll definitely try E6000 thank you
    • Robin Leclerc

u can drill thru glass but use a titanium bit....worked great on wine bottles and sea shells

• Joyce

What size are the chicken feeders?

• Joyce

What size are the chicken feeders?

• Dco22451989

What size jar screws onto the poultry feeders?

• Ann Eaves

How do you refill them?

• Sandra Billings

where did you find all the different cool covers?

• Monika

What do you use to put the hole in the bottom of the jar Yes a drill could you clearfy this for me. I am looking for a project to do with my 7yr old grandson. Thank you so much. Moni

• Diana Wearing

Hi Monika - There are no holes in the jar, the lid is attached using E6000 glue and the base screws on. I do drill drainage holes in the bases with just a small drill bit. Hope that helps!

• Monika

Good morning Diana Thank you for your answer. I spent time trying to figure out where the glue went and came up with the lid. Thank you so much for the project. I'm sure Michael will enjoy doing it, Have a good week Mo nika

• 9530106

I have everything ready to make one of these. I love them. How does the glue hold up? I have a new tube of Loctite, so thought I would just use it, it is for outdoors.

• Diana Wearing

Yay! The glue is holding up fine, I’ve had one out for a couple of years now with no issues at all. I’ve never used Loctite on these but I’m sure it will probably work fine if it’s made for exterior use on glass & metal surfaces.

• 9530106

Yes it is for all those surfaces, so hopefully... Today the squirrel finished off what he could, and knocked over the base into the bush, thankfully not the cement. I need to get it done! Thank You!

• Elizabeth Swanson

Loctite works very well for outdoor projects

• 9530106

Yes it does. I use it all the time. I was wondering about how well the glass and metal together might be, as far as durability of staying power. Oh, and the WIND we have!!! :)

• Lynette Flores

Where do you get the bottomswith the holes from?

• Los15904080

attaching the lid do you mean the lid to the jar or the top pan lid on the top of the feeder

• Diana Wearing

I attach the pot lid with the E6000 glue, the feeder base screws on and off for filling.

• 4bl33262627

How do you fill them once they're empty?

• Diana Wearing

You just flip it over unscrew the base fill it screw the base back on and you're good to go.

• Claira Marie Depont

Hi, very creative! What about the pan covers. Can you buy just the cover somewhere?

• Gillian S

How did the water base go over? Did the birds drink from it?

• Diana Wearing

I’d occasionally see birds on it but it’s not as popular as the seed feeder!

• Lyn5035705

Please can you tell me the part that houses the food what is it ? I can't recall ever seeing one? I'm in the uk. I so love your idea and would love to try my hand and have a go.million thank hun and well done. X

• Patricia L Bigbie

Here in the USA they are called large canning jars, or quart size jars...you would have to check a conversion chart Lyn.

We also get large sized mustard and mayonnaise in the stores, in this size jars. Maybe do a Google search as well?

Good luck with this!!

• Diana Wearing

Thanks! The jar is a regular mason (canning) jar and the screw on base is a poultry feeding base.

• Lyn5035705

Thanks so much guys. What was puzzling me was the poultry base. I already use the other materials. I was trying to work out what it was. Not a pie dish surely oh could it be a container to store eggs lol.lol. I didn't have a clue so guys thanks again now got to find one. God bless Lynn.

• Judy Ann

Mason jars

• Donna

How do you refill them?

• Mary

Where do you get the bases?

• Margaret

Where do you get the poultry feeders??

• Diana Wearing

I get the bases at our local Farm & Fleet most farm supply stores should carry them and you should also be able to find the online, they are mason jar poultry bases.

• James

Tractor supply

• Cynthia

This looks like the best idea ever! We love feeding the birds where we live.

Q: Is E6000 glue easy to find? Cheers!

• Diana Wearing

Thank you!

You can find E6000 at Walmart, Hobby Lobby, Home Depot, Menards, hardware stores etc. (easy to find!).

• Tut32328510

Walmart Carries the 600 glue

• Susan

Michaels and other craft stores carry E6000.

• Christine

Ok..that's amazing, but how do you fill the feedeers?

• Diana Wearing

The base unscrews from the jar, you just flip them over to fill.

• Vicki Harvey

The mason jars screw into the feeder base.

• Judy

But what is the glue for?

• Crystal Shoff Charles

The glue is to put agate lid on top for decoration use also to hang. When want to fill flip upside down fill screw on bottom n your good to go !!

• Pat

I believe you would unscrew the jar from the base top or bottom.

• Judy

What size Mason jars will fit the poultry eeder base, regular or wide mouth?

• Annie

How did you make the post feeder? Here on the coast of BC it rains all the time. I live in a townhouse so I can't hang too much on the outside but the post in the ground would be great! I can put up the post but what about the feeder part. This is what I need to know how to make. :)

• Diana Wearing

Hi Annie - We bought that feeder we didn't build it, that style is called a hopper feeder. You might be able to find directions on how to build one online - good luck!

• Joan Dales

where can I get the bottoms

• Diana Wearing

I get them at our local farm store you can also buy them online just search for mason jar poultry feeder base.

• Joa42840234

Where do I get the base?

• Diana Wearing

I get mine at Farm and Fleet our local farm store, most farm stores carry them you can also buy them online.

• Lana Klatt

I bought one of these at a craft fair. Thought it was so cute until I came out and found a helpless little bird trapped inside the mason jar. The holes in the poultry feeders are too large.

• Cheryl Gyles
      Yesterday

You may be able to attach some chicken wire, or even window screening to the underside of the holes to prevent this. If you use window screening just cut an "x" in it to access the seed.

• Denise Lyssy
    Yesterday

yes I want to try this project. Great idea!

Question did you glue the lids to the jar base with hot glue or something stronger?

• Diana Wearing
      19 hours ago

Thank you! I used E6000 glue, you can get it at hardware stores, Wal Mart etc. it holds up well to extreme weather swings.